Subject: RE: [office] Re: [office-formula] BITAND - Normative Statements

Patrick,

I believe I answered the question that I was asked by Andreas with
sufficient rationale (and supporting material) to explain the basis for that
answer.  (Whether that is necessary rationale, I don't know, but I am not
sure how much we are all up to speed on the procedures and the conformance
guidelines that figure in them.)

I shared that rationale with others (especially you editors) because it
strikes me as worthy of discussion as a matter of principle before
undertaking actions to fulfill on such principles.  I gather you find that
unwelcome for the reasons you give.

I understand and accept your observations considering how we put in the
necessary rigor around the bit-wise logical operations and others in
OpenFormula.  I also accept that specific, precise proposals on JIRA are
called for.

In fact, in the post that Andreas was asking about and quoted from,
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-formula/200912/msg00058.html>,
my #1 statement was that the issues should be raised and dealt with on JIRA.
That I provided some analysis of my own about stumbling blocks and
appropriate rigor along with an extended PS was my sharing of my thinking on
the matter.  I understand that there is different work required in arriving
at specific proposals and their resolution on JIRA and my analysis was not
meant to short-circuit that in any way.

Also, my appraisal of the use of (1) conformance language and (2) my
additional observations/questions about the tight definition of bit-wise
logical operations tied to OpenFormula Number types were two very different,
mainly orthogonal concerns.

I apologize if that was not clear in my writing about them on the same
thread.  My observations about (2) are independent of my observations about
(1).  My observations of kind (2) were specifically about the bit-wise
logical operations, using BITAND as one case and I agree that the conditions
should be isolated and stated in one place.  Although I also think that this
kind of thinking applies to other OpenFormula provisions (e.g., with regard
to Boolean values as single true/false indicators, with some of my personal
thought on the matter appearing at
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-formula/200912/msg00038.html>),
I thought I had carefully limited my analysis to the bit-wise logical values
in the messages you are reacting to.

Sharing thinking and testing understanding does not seem to me to be an
inappropriate use of the ODF TC List.  Don't you do that too?

 - Dennis