Subject: RE: [office] Re: [office-formula] BITAND - Normative Statements

Hi Dennis,

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 16:09 -0800, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I believe I answered the question that I was asked by Andreas with
> sufficient rationale (and supporting material) to explain the basis for that
> answer.  (Whether that is necessary rationale, I don't know, but I am not
> sure how much we are all up to speed on the procedures and the conformance
> guidelines that figure in them.)

In the "PS" you had referred to I had suggested deleting "To comply with
this specification," which you objected to. So I asked:

> > could you explain to me what you see as the difference between the
> > following two statements (in the context of the OpenFormula
> > specification):
> >
> > 1) To comply with this specification, an implementation *shall* support
> > parameters of at least 48 bits.
> >
> > 2) An implementation *shall* support parameters of at least 48 bits.

It seems to me that your "answer" was that you didn't think either was
correct. I still don't know why we have that prefix "To comply with this
specification,". Or how this sentence could be formulated in a way that
you find acceptable.

It appears that you object to the subject of that sentence. I note the
use of "ODF editing implementations", "Implementations can"...,
"Implementations need not"..., ..."used by implementations that"...,
"Implementations may"..., "implementations should"..., "implementation
shall"... in the current committee draft of part 1. If any of these
expressions is truly a problem, I gather one should vote against sending
the draft to public review.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow