Subject: Re: [office] ODF 1.1 and JTC1: suggestions

On 01/08/10 15:55, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM wrote on 01/08/2010 08:15:29 AM:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is actually a follow-up on Rob's suggestions regarding submission
>> of ODF 1.1 to JTC1.
>>
>> I think what Rob suggest may work, but read James Clark's last mail to
>> the TC as if we can submit a diff between ODF 1.0 2nd edition and ODF
>> 1.1 to JTC1. Unless we are proven wrong with that assumption, I think we
>> should assume that this is possible.
>>

> I don't think this is possible under OASIS TC Process rules.  The Liaison
> Policy requires that material submitted to other organizations be an OASIS
> Standard or Approved Errata.  In any case that is question for Mary more
> than Jamie.

Both options do work for me. We should follow Mary's and Jamie's advice
here. I simply assumed the diff because that was what we have discussed
with Jamie.

> The simpler solution, is to simply submit ODF 1.1 according to the Liaison
> Policy and then let Patrick and other participants in SC34/WG6 (including
> Dennis, Svante, you and me) work to develop an amendment from that.  That
> puts the preparation of the amendment on WG6's plate, so their clock is
> ticking, not ours.  Otherwise we will continue to spend our meetings
> discussing ODF 1.1 diffs rather than remaining ODF 1.2 defects.

Well, my suggestion was that the prepare the diff by comparing the two
documents in an office application. There shouldn't be anything that
needs to be discussed in that case. But of cause, from the ODF TC's
perspective, the simplest solution would be if we can take the ODF 1.1
specification as is.

>> I further think it may be reasonable to work out some kind of plan how
>> we continue to maintain the three ODF versions (1.0, 1.1 and 1.2) as
>> soon as ODF 1.1 has been submitted to ISO. The motivation of submitting
>> ODF 1.1 to JTC1 is to get ISO 26300 in sync with OASIS ODF. However, ODF
>> 1.2 is close to its completion on the OASIS side. When it has been
>> approved as OASIS standard, we will have three versions of ODF at OASIS.
>> We may receive defect reports for all three, and may prepare errata
>> documents for all three. To avoid having a confusing number of errata
>> documents and ODF variants (at OASIS and ISO), it may therefore be
>> reasonable that we agree (with JTC1/SC34) that we produce errata
>> documents only for the latest ODF version that is available at OASIS.
>> The exception would be the ODF 1.1 errata that we produce as part of the
>> effort to synchronize ISO 26300 with ODF 1.1.
>>

> When we submit ODF 1.2 we can state how we want ODF 1.0 and ODF 1.1 to be
> treated.  This might include canceling and replacing them with ODF 1.2,
> stabilizing them or continuing to maintain them.  It is worth having a
> discussion on our preferences at that time.  But for now ODF 1.0 is the
> current ISO standard and any NB of JTC1 may submit a defect report.  There
> is no one is SC34 or JTC1 who can prevent that. NB's have the right to
> submit defect reports.

That's right. But given that we soon may have ODF 1.0, which is an ISO
standard, ODF 1.1 that is in progress of becoming an amendment to ISO
26300, and ODF 1.2, which is an OASIS standard but not yet an ISO
standard, it may be worth to agree that we are not producing any
additional errata until ODF 1.2 has become an ISO standard, too (or at
least, until ODF 1.2 has been submitted to ISO). That may help us to
keep the different versions of ODF at OASIS and ISO at sync, and avoids
that we are producing erratas for ODF versions where we may (or may not)
agree that they shall not be further maintained a few weeks later.

Michael