Subject: RE: [office] Extended conforming packages and manifest:algorithm-name

I still don't think we need the extended conforming package, and we
certainly don't need to allow such a thing at any level in Part 1.

As I remarked earlier,
< http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/201005/msg00034.html>
We can sanitize the confirming package by simply removing all bullet items
of the form

       * The IRI of an alternative algorithm as specified in section 5.1 of
[xml-enc] ...

Since that removal will still allow the specifically-identified methods in
[xml-enc] core as optional (and covered under a different bullet in the same
lists).  This open-ended arbitrary alternative case is objectionable for the
same reason open-ended compression methods are.  Considering that
alternative encryptions are likely not to use the ODF 1.2 Package Encryption
methodology at all, this is a likely waste of specification.

Finally, I can find nothing in section 5.1 of [xml-enc] that constitutes
specification of how to introduce alternative algorithms beyond what
[xml-enc] provides.  All it says is "Furthermore, the mechanism is
extensible, and alternative algorithms may be used," along with some
preceding recommendations about the use of namespaces.  The [xml-enc]
section 7 on conformance is a bit more emphatic on what constitutes a
conformant use.  We need to double-check what we do against that, if we
expect [xml-enc] conformance and have any *additional* conformance
requirements.

 - Dennis