Subject: RE: [office] Do we really have that many options in ODF?

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 05/07/2010
12:55:06 PM:

> I would say that everywhere there is a "SHOULD," "MAY,"
> "implementation-defined," and especially "implementation-dependent"
> (including when implicit in the omission of sufficient detail for it to
be
> anything but implementation-dependent) that is PERMISSION TO CONFORMING
> PRODUCERS, we need to consider the unnatural acts and barriers that this
> imposes on consumers.

I don't think I'd say "unnatural" here.  The history of this area is quite
clear.  There has never been an interoperable, widely-adopted, open
standard format for office documents.  For the last 30-years it has been a
constant state of every vendor defining their own format and than trying
to get whatever degree of interoperability they can, via whatever means
they could scrap together.  I think that is the  "natural" state of
things.

Standardization in this area is a recent innovation.  Clearly if we can
agree on every last detail of the syntax and semantics of office
documents, and get all vendors to implement it according to spec, then we
have achieved a minor miracle.  We might not get there all in one step,
but every step we take in that direction is progress.  This is not an
all-or-nothing thing.

I think I've said before that there are several ways we can fail:

1) Specifying things too loosely, that implementations are not able, with
reasonable efforts, to achieve interoperability.  Note that I don't state
this in absolute terms, like "Implementers from the planet Mars, who have
never seen a word processor, must be able to implement 100% of ODF while
locked in a room with only access to the standard and a copy of a the
Shorter Oxford English Dictionary."  I expect that interoperability will
not be achieved without extra-standards efforts, including testing,
plugfests, etc.  That is engineering, not mathematics.

2) Specifying things too narrowly, that we arbitrarily exclude reasonable
variation and preferences.  As we all know, it is possible to write a very
detailed, much longer specification that describes in monumental detail
the inner secrets of a single implementation, and then have very few (or
no) conforming implementations.  I don't think we need to repeat that.

3) Specifying things that no one will implement.  Sure, it would be nice
if by the stroke of a pen we could force trillion dollar multinational
corporations to change their 15-year old established products to meet our
whims, the fact is that is a delusional belief.  A standard might be able
to get a little ahead of implementations, like we did with the RDF support
in 1.2.  But that only works when you have implementers already committed
to implement it.

4) Specifying things too slowly, that the fruits of our efforts are not
made available in a timely fashion and therefore cease to be relevant to
the market.

Obviously, #1 and #2 are trade-offs.  I think reasonable people can
disagree on how these trade-offs are made.  With more time we might make
improvements here.  But with an eye on #4, I wonder whether that more time
is best done post ODF 1.2?  There are a lot of improvements in ODF 1.2
that we risk holding back from standardization if we delay 1.2 further.
Sure there is more work we could do.  But there is even more work that
we've already done.  At some point I think we need to let go, and allow
the spec flow through the rest of the process, while at the same time
committing ourselves to continue that progress in the next revision.
Perfect?  No.  Much improved?  Yes.

Regards,