Subject: Re: [office] What to do about encryption?

On 11 May 2010 09:12, Malte Timmermann <Malte.Timmermann@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> thanks for sharing your thoughts on ODF encryption and the offer to
> provide a proposal for a new encryption mechanism.
>
> When I looked at some encrypted MSO2010 document last weeks, I also
> thought that such a mechanism would have it's benefits.
>
> Some benefits would be solving most or all of the (minor) flaws that ODF
> encryption has.
>
> But what I really liked (because we were just discussing signatures, not
> the encryption itself): With wrapping the full document package as one
> encrypted stream into a new (wrapper) package, _no_ feature
> implementation would need to care about encryption. ODF Signatures would
> automatically work on plain data, and wouldn't need to know whether or
> not it will be encrypted itself later on.
>
> So I also intended to suggest such an encryption mechanism for "ODF
> next" - and hopefully people are fine with having encrypted signatures then.
>
> Some comments on some of your items below:
>
> "replacing an encrypted file with one that is not": We probably should
> add some statement to the ODF specification about this. What we did in
> OOo 3.1 or 3.2 is that we make sure an encrypted document only has
> encrypted data (except manifest and signature files).
> If it's not already there, the ODF specification should have some
> statement that an encrypted document must not have any not encrypted files.
>
> "Signatures and encryption do not play well together" - answered above.
>
> "make a break from requiring Blowfish" - other algorithms are already
> allowed in ODF 1.2.
>
> So I second you suggestion to add an other encryption mechanism in "ODF
> next", and I am pleased that you want to work with us on the specification.

Malte, I am not sure if we can get away with putting this back to ODF
next.  We have some identified defects in both our signature and
encryption mechanisms as well as some identified remedies to address
them.  It seems likely that these will raise their heads quite
stubbornly during any public review period anyway.

So it looks to me that Rob's option #2 for signatures should probably
apply here too ie. we need to be ready with a more detailed proposal,
which I note David has offered to start on.

Regards
Bob