Subject: Re: [office] Encryption and data leakage

So what are our options for #3?

Option 1) ZIP in a ZIP.  So create document as if it is encrypted, then
encrypt that as one file and STORE it in a container ZIP file that has
manifest, mimetype and nothing else.  That manifest lists the encryption
parameters for the "inner" zip.

PRO:

Data leakage concerns go away.

Better interaction with digital signatures.

Simplifies the specification.  We don't need to talk about pre-compressing
before encrypting.  That happens automatically.

CON:

Will this be slower because of the double ZIP?  I'm not quite sure.  I
think it might actually be faster because encrypting one big stream should
be faster than encrypting many smaller streams.  This is worth testing.

There is no opportunity for selective encryption.  For example, cannot
decide to expose metadata but not content.  But this is not typical.  And
if really needed we could allow metadata to be shadowed in the outer
container.

Option 2) Don't have two-levels of ZIP, but maintain a shadow directory
that is encrypted along with the concatenation of the files in the stream,
maybe using the Unix tar method.

PRO:  Not sure it has advantages over 1)

CON: Requires us to specify more, specifically our own conventions for a
pre-compression, pre-encryption compound file.

Option 3)  Is there an option 3?

-Rob

Malte.Timmermann@Sun.COM wrote on 05/12/2010 05:06:09 AM:

> [...]
>
> I would like to avoid way 1+2, but to directly go with way 3.
>
> a) It's IMHO the better approach
> b) Don't introduce interim changes, This breaks compatibility twice, and
> I am even not not sure if somebody would implement them at all.
>
> Another not yet mentioned approach would be to use/allow standard zip
> encryption including directory encryption (instead of way 1+2, but not
> as a replacement for 3).
> But I don't know if this would allow for different algorithms, nor do I
> know if the standard zip encryption is considered to be strong.
> I guess there are reasons that it hasn't be considered for ODF
> encryption from the beginning...
>
> Malte.
>
> robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote, On 05/11/10 19:42:
> > The approach we inherited from ODF 1.1 encrypts each file in the ZIP
> > independently.  Although the contents of the files are not viewable
due to
> > the encryption, there are bits of information that  potential "leak",
such
> > as:
> >
> > 1) The file size
> > 2) The file date
> > 3) The file name
> > 4) The file mime type
> > 5) The hash of the first 1024 bytes of the file
> >
> > For example, even in an encrypted document I could see a file name
called
> > "big-secret-takeover-june-3.jpg" and know some information that the
person
> > who wrote the encrypted document might be rather surprised to see in
the
> > open.
> >
> > Although not required by ODF, an implementation, if it is clever, can
> > avoid some of these leakages.  For example, the timestamp of the file
can
> > be turned into the time of encryption rather than the original time
stamp.
> >  And the file name can be randomized rather than indicate the original

> > file name.  This might be fine for ODF, since these time stamps and
file
> > names are not necessary to be preserved.  So long as as we preserve
> > referential integrity of the package, the names of images are not
> > significant.
> >
> > However we still should be concerned here.  First, the reason we split

> > Part 3 into its own part was the believe that it could be useful for
> > purposes other than just ODF 1.2.  Many of us hoped that it would
other
> > uses.  But I don't think we can assume that all uses can ignore the
> > original file names and time stamps.  These might be significant for
some
> > uses.
> >
> > Second, even within ODF, especially if we allow package extensions, we

> > might see items added to packages where the names of files (which may
> > ultimately end user-defined) cannot safely be renamed to random names.
For
> > example, there may be referential integrity constraints that a generic
ODF
> > processor is not aware of.  Maybe there is RDF that points to a
contained
> > image or other package resource.  In any case, the approach is very
> > fragile.
> >
> > Finally, even without extensions, and with the use of randomized
names, we
> > still leak information, based on knowing the size and hash of the
first
> > 1024 bytes of the file.  For example, if I have a copy of "
> > big-secret-takeover-june-3.jpg" I can easily check to see what
encrypted
> > documents also contain that same image.  I can similarly probe for any

> > other resource where I know in advance its size and or contents.
> >
> > There are three ways of getting around this problem.  (Or at least two

> > that come to mind).  One is to keep a "shadow directory" for the ZIP,
that
> > contains the original names, time stamps, and sizes of the files.
Encrypt