Subject: RE: [office] Re: [office-requirements] Current status

Mmz, what about releasing a ODF 1.2.1 / 1.3 first, focusing on change tracking ?

Best regards

Bart

From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 8:42 PM
To: Bob Jolliffe
Cc: office-requirements@lists.oasis-open.org; office@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [office] Re: [office-requirements] Current status

cc'ing the main list, at least initially, and reminding everyone there
that we're starting up the ODF-Next discussion on the Requirements
subcommittee list.  Join if you want to participate.

So my big question is what do we want to do in ODF-Next.  Since that is
too big a question to answer outright, I think that leads to the question,
how do we determine what ODF-Next will be?

It seems we can do a bottom-up approach, where we look at deferred feature
requests and public comments, and build a plan around that.

And another approach is top-down, where we articulate a broad vision and
then fill in the details, including where appropriate deferred features.

Or you could do a mix of both approaches.

But I think we probably should agree on the general parameters of what
ODF-Next is.

For example, one set of parameters might be:

"ODF-Next is an incremental revision of the standard, intended to be
backwards compatible  and with a target to publish within 18 months,"

Another vision might be:

"ODF-Next is a purification and modularization of the existing
capabilities of ODF, with the intent to make it a more flexible framework
for future innovation"

And so on.

I think that is something we need to come to agreement on sooner rather
than later.  Is "ODF-Next" something small, incremental and backwards
compatible?  Or is there something bolder we want to do?

-Rob