Subject: RE: [office] IRI vs URI Discussion Today (2010-09-13)

It seems I lied about the %62 business.  It can be restored to "b" as part
of URI normalization and [RFC3986] says un-%-encoding of codes corresponding
to unreserved US-ASCII characters can be done any time.  But anything that
would become a reserved character (or an unrecognized character) in the
US-ASCII set in a URI should not be touched (and IRI encoding mapping and
inverting shouldn't touch it).

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 18:03
To: 'Andreas J. Guelzow'
Cc: 'ODF TC List'

[ ... ]

PS: using %62 instead of the letter "b" is definitely not recommended.  It
should certainly not be done by software.  But if it is in an IRI that comes
into our possession, it is wise not to change it.  The security issues that
go with this sort of thing (as a way of obscuring something about a web site
or resource) might be handled by how it is presented, but not by
automatically adjusting it.

[ ... ]