Subject: Re: [office] <text:*-ref> elements, <text:reference-ref>, <text:bookmark-ref>,<text:note-ref>, <text:sequence-ref>

Hi,

On 09/20/10 20:47, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 12:37 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
>> On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 12:04 -0600, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> "The<text:reference-element represents a field that is populated by a
>>> reference to a<text:reference-mark-start>  or
>> <text:reference-element>."
>>>
>>> That captures that it is the field that is being represented and that
>> it
>>> is populated by a reference to particular elements.
>>>
>>> Does that work?
>>>
>> I think that viewing the<text:reference-ref>  as a field that is
>> populated is unnecessarily complicated.
>>
>> I would like to think of this in analogy to our table:table-cell element
>> that might have table:formula attribute with a formula. IN this case we
>> shouldn't really need the value of that formula or the text content of
>> that cell. Nevertheless we provide for it to allow simple consumers to
>> present the document without being able to evaluate said formula.
>>
>> Similarly, I view the purpose of the text content of the
>> <text:reference-ref>  to be solely for consumers that are unable to
>> construct that content. Any advanced consumers will surely re calculate
>> the value (or repopulate the field).
>>
>> So I think that it would suffice to say that the<text:reference-ref>
>> element references (or identifies) a<text:reference-mark-start>  or
>> <text:reference-mark>  element.
>>

> Well, but as I understand it,<text:reference-ref>  is a field. That is
> it marks a location in the text where content will be displayed.
>
> Curious that it has text content. That may be the previously calculated
> content of the reference. We don't say.
>
> Or are you saying it is not a field but an element that is populated by
> the application? But it can be updated by the application so that is
> more like a field.
>
> Still not certain about this one.

I prefer Andreas' propsed text for definition what <text:reference-ref>
is, but I would include that it is a field.
Thus, my propsal is:
"The <text:reference-ref> element represents a field that references a
<text:reference-mark-start> or <text:reference-mark> element."

Patrick's concern regarding the text content of <text:reference-ref> is
valid. We do not say what the text content of this field is/contains at
this place in the specification.
This holds for all our elements which are fields - look at the other
elements in chapter 7.
But, in 7.2 we say:
"Each field type is represented by a corresponding element type. The
content of an element is a textual representation of the current field
value as it would be displayed or printed. ..."
This is enough in my opinion for explaining what the text content of our
field elements is.

For the elements in chapter 7 we often state that it _displays_ something.
Thus, I want to adjust my above proposal to:
"The <text:reference-ref> element represents a field that references a
<text:reference-mark-start> or <text:reference-mark> element. By its
attribute text:reference-format it is specified what it displays from
the referenced element."

What do you think about this proposal?

Best regards, Oliver.

--
ORACLE http://www.oracle.com
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann | Oracle Open Office and ODF Standardization

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande