Subject: Next steps in completing ODF 1.2

Dear TC members,

Rob and I have discussed where we are with completing ODF 1.2 right now,
and what the next steps could be:

First of all, we would like to thank TC members for their extra efforts
in recent weeks (and months!) to resolve the open ODF 1.2 issues in
JIRA.  Your hard work has brought the number of unresolved issues down
from many hundreds to less than 50.  This is a tremendous achievement
and this puts us within "shooting distance" of the end.

Patrick has published a new working draft that includes 100's of
additional issue fixes from JIRA.  This is not ready for a CD vote yet
(or a CSD == Committee Specification Draft, as OASIS calls them now),
but it is recommended that you review the draft against your highest
priority JIRA issues to ensure that the fix was made correctly.  In any
editing project of this size, errors are inevitable, so please go back
and review the applied fixes from your issues:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=39878&wg_abbrev=office
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=39880&wg_abbrev=office
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=39881&wg_abbrev=office

In addition, we must now continue the effort to resolve the remaining
open issues, where a proposal can be quickly developed and consensus
gained.

However, it is clear that some of these issues have been open for a long
time, in some cases over a year.  There are many reasons why an issue
might remain open for a year, including lack of interest, lack of a good
solution, lack of consensus, etc.  Whatever the reason, it is time to
either resolve these issues or to defer them to "ODF-Next".

In order to make the above happen, we propose the following:

1) After the TC call next Monday, we will retarget all new open ODF 1.2
issues to ODF-Next

2) We only accept new issues with a CD06 target under the following
conditions:

a) the issue comes with an uncontroversial resolution. (Uncontroversial
will be mean that there are no "-1" votes in JIRA)

b) or, the TC votes that the issue is important enough to further delay
ODF 1.2.  TC members can request an ODF 1.2 CD06 target on the mailing
list. If that request is seconded by another TC member, the approval of
the target takes place in the next TC call.

Note that any specific issues deferred to ODF-Next may be re-targetted
to CD 06 according to a) or b).

After the TC call on Monday, November 8th, condition a) above is
replaced by:

a')the issue comes with an uncontroversial resolution. (Uncontroversial
will be mean that there are no "-1" votes in JIRA) AND the candidate
draft for the CD06 ballot has not yet been posted AND the Editor is able
to integrate the resolution without further delaying the drafts.

In other words, we always preserve the ability for the TC, via a
majority vote, to open and resolve any issue, even if this results in a
delay of ODF 1.2.  However, we at the same time take steps to transition
from the review and editing phase of ODF 1.2 to the final editing and
approval stage.

3) The TC editor will prepare the final drafts after the November 8th
call. This may actually take a few days, because the generated text has
to be updated and consistency checks have to run. As soon as the final
drafts are ready and no motions for resolving further issues do exist,
the TC editor or chairs will make a motion for approval of the drafts as
a Committee Specification Draft (CSD) and a follow-up 15-day public review.

This means that the TC has another week to provide resolutions. From
November the 8th on, we prepare the final drafts, and we only further
delay ODF 1.2 in order to resolve further issues if a majority of TC
members approved that.

Michael Brauer | Oracle Office Development
Phone: +49 40 23646 500
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande