Subject: Re: [office] Proposal for Advanced Document Collaboration Subcommittee

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 11/04/2010 01:24:18 PM:

> Re: [office] Proposal for Advanced Document Collaboration Subcommittee
>
> Rob,
>
> Just came up for air and saw your post.
>
> Do you think the charter should mention the role of meta-data in
> revisions?

I think revisions should consider content, styles and metadata.  These are
three planes of data in an ODF document.  If we defined a macro language
we might even talk about a 4th plane, of behavior.  In any case, I agree
this metadata should be considered in this work.  But I'm indifferent to
whether we want to get to that level of detail in the charter.

> Just so they can tend to that while working on pure change tracking sort
> of issues?
>
> And that might attract people interested in the annotation side of
> document work as well.

Maybe I'm missing something.  Are you talking about change tracking of
documents where the change happens to be or include a change in metadata?
Or are you talking about a different scenario involving annotations?

-Rob

> Don't want it to get too broad but thought that might be a useful
> addition.
>
> Hope you are having a great day!
>
> Patrick
>
> On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 12:24 -0400, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > For discussion on the list. I know that many/most of us are heads-down
on
> > the ODF 1.2 endgame right now.  But I have heard from a number of
> > individuals who are interested in starting work immediately to refine
the
> > DeltaXML change tracking proposal.  Since they are willing to join the
TC,
> > and this is a priority area for them, I think it would be a good idea
> > create a SC where this work could be advanced at its own pace,
> > independently of our work on ODF 1.2.
> >
> > Also, in order to avoid a proliferation of subcommittees, I've written
the
> > scope broadly enough to encompass some adjacent areas within the
> > collaboration" sphere, especially areas that I know are of interest to
one
> > or more members of the TC.
> >
> > I am willing to chair the SC, but I also would be more than happy to
yield
> > to a suitable alternative volunteer.
> >
> > -Rob

> > Name
> > ----
> > Advanced Document Collaboration Subcommittee (slug = office-collab)
> >

> > Statement of Purpose
> > --------------------
> >
> > Many ODF documents do not involve collaboration.  They are created by
> > single user, edited by a single user, and then perhaps presented or
shared
> > with multiple users, or maybe even just converted to PDF for
distribution.

> > However, collaboration-based document scenarios are also common,
including
> > review and comment and change tracking as well as emerging work in
> > real-time collaborative editing, in-context document collaboration,
> > persistence of structured document fragments, and so on.
> >
> > In order to bring together technical experts in these areas, and for
them
> > to evaluate trends, investigate opportunities and draft enhancements
> > ODF in these areas, we are proposing a dedicated subcommittee for this

> > topic.
> >
> > The initial priority for the Subcommittee will be change tracking.
> > Reliable and user friendly revision management is critical for
> > professional document workflows in corporate and public sector
> > environments, and as such an important feature of Open Document
Format.