Subject: Re: [office] Thoughts on ODF-Next

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 12/17/2010 08:53:52 AM:

> Michael,
>
> On the whole I very much like the proposed schedule, although I would
> use the more frequent CSD periods to incorporate comments from national
> bodies.

Of course, we can incorporate comments in Working Drafts as well.  The
main thing a CSD does is allow us to hold a formal public review.  So I
think it is critical to get that first CSD/Public review out quickly. With
ODF 1.2, we iterated on WDs for too long, I think, before we got to a CD
01.

On the other hand, a CSD/Public review does have overhead, both in the
length of the review, but also on the administrative checks.  Since the
initial review is the longer review (30-days), there is an advantage to
doing that as early as possible, to get that out of the way.  Of course,
once you've done that you have the burden of highlighting changes in
future CSDs.  But on balance I think we're better of to have a CSD/public
review early.

> Given the changes in OASIS process, I suspect new agreements will need
> to be made between JTC1 and OASIS.

How do you see this?  The agreement with JTC1 concerns maintenance, mainly
around how we respond to defect reports.  Nothing on the OASIS side has
changed in that regard.

> I would not use the CSD status as a means to allow the implemented OASIS
> specifications to get out of synch with the ISO version.

As I see it there are three mechanisms at play, and they move at different
speeds:

1) Innovations in the applications that happen in an uncoordinated way, at
various speeds.  Large commercial products might release on a 3 year
schedule, while open source products may make more frequent, smaller
releases, say every 6 months. And cloud-based editors, they can deploy
updates instantly.  Vendors are not going to wait

2) Revisions of OASIS standards can come out every 18-24 months under
reasonable assumptions.  CSDs can occur more frequently.  These might be
useful for vendors as milestone specifications to implement.  But they are
not consensus standards, and don't carry that weight with some
stakeholders.  They also don't have the same implications for IPR as a
fully approved OASIS Standard.

3) And then you have formal standardization, in the ISO/IEC sense, which
is another 12+ months on top of the OASIS 18+ months.

Note further than OASIS will not allow us to advance an OASIS Standard to
ISO until we have shown its interoperability via at least three
independent implementations in an InterOp Demonstration.  So we will
always see a lag between implementation of OASIS versions of the standard
and approval of the corresponding ISO versions.  We should also note that
the end-to-end standardization period of OASIS + ISO is greater than the
inter-release schedules of almost all vendors.

In any case, the respective attention we give to Working Drafts versus
CSDs doesn't really change the picture.  It is really the end-to-end time
that matters, if you are concerned with applications and the ISO standard
getting out of sync.

> For several reasons:
>
> First, as you will recall, having ISO status is important in a number of
> marketing venues.
>
> Second, we have gone to a great deal of effort to not only secure that
> status for current versions and to arrange for it to remain current.
>
> Third, having both OASIS and ISO review means that a broader community
> has feedback into ODF, making it a much stronger standard.

Maybe also reiterate that we welcome feedback at any time.  We've just
recently completed an enormous task of processing thousands of comments.
Very few of these came during an official public review period.

So I'd divide the question of "what to review" from "when to review it".
The answer to "what" is "the latest posted draft", whether a WD or CSD.
The answer to "when" is "whenever you want".  There is nothing magical
about the CSD/public review other than it is a process requirement and
that OASIS advertises it.

Regards,

-Rob