Subject: Re: [office] Thoughts on ODF-Next

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 12/17/2010 05:28:52 PM:

> The process as you describe it misses the triggers that operate in other
> environments.
>
> To take a wholly OASIS example, at present, you won't get Technical
> Advisory Board (TAB) comments on working drafts.
>
> Not that the TAB isn't interested.
>
> Not that WD don't merit comments by the TAB.
>
> Just that public review is the trigger for TAB comments.
>
> To say that NB's can comment whenever they want, is to ignore the
> defined triggers for those comments.

In 2010 we've entered 1284 issues in JIRA.  Of these 142 came through the
public comment list.

We had the following public reviews in 2010:

ODF 1.2 Part 3 (partially in 2009) brought in 20 public comments
ODF 1.2 Part 1:  brought 50 public comments.
ODF 1.2 CD 05 (all three parts) brought in 25 public comments

So of the 142 public comments, around 2/3 came in during an announced
public review. But in total that represents only 7% of the issues we dealt
with.  And the public comments are not unusually distinguished by quality
either.  They run the gamut.

So although I think public reviews are important for a number of other
reasons, I don't really see them as the primary quality improvement
mechanism for the spec.

Of course, this may vary depending on the TC.  With this TC we're
fortunate to have all major implementors participating.  So we get ongoing
and direct relevant feedback, regardless of the public review cycle.