Subject: Re: [office] Thoughts on ODF-Next

Hi Rob,

On 17.12.2010 19:26, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
Note that I don't think the ISO portion of the "train" should determine
our scheduling.  IMHO, it is perfectly acceptable to start work on a new
ODF version in OASIS while the previous version is still under review in
ISO.  In fact I think that will be the normal situation.

I agree. Otherwise we would have to pause our work on a new specification for a year or so, what would also delay the next ISO version by a year. This is certainly in no ones interest.
We might even want to propose a more detailed template for the release.
For example, say for ODF 1.3 we say upfront that we will:

1) Produce monthly WDs until the specification is "feature complete"

Yes, that's a good idea.
2) Set a target date for CSD 01.  Assume CSD 01 goes for 30 day public
review

3) Assume we get comments and revise once.  Set a target date for CSD 02.

If we adopt a train model, then the target dates for all CSDs are known in advance. If our trains leave every 6 months, then the target date for CSD 1 would be in 6 months from now, CSD 2 6 months later, and so on.

4) CSD 02 goes out for 15 ay public review

5) Move CSD 02 forward for CS.

I think we should be careful advancing a CSD to CS if we don't want to advance it also to an OASIS standard. CSD 02 may be ready in a year from now. That may be to early for the next OASIS standard. But it may indeed be reasonable to agree in advance that at latest with CSD04, we will advance a CSD to an OASIS standard.
I think every CSD should go out for public review, except maybe the first
one.  Note also that we have told SC34 that we will send them all CSD's
for comment.

Yes, that makes sense.

I generally like the idea.  I think this is the intent of WD, CSD and CS
work products, to be milestones.

Another, entirely different approach, would be to investigate what would
be required to do a true multi-part standard, where the different parts
could be advanced through the entire process independently.  So in the
train analogy, this would be parallel tracks.  We considered this for ODF
1.2, but some (including me) thought that we needed some modularization
work on the spec (and schema) before we could successfully and cleanly
separate the parts.  But if we were able to do this for ODF-Next, then
that would allow additional flexibility.  Of course, it would also cause
additional complexity in JIRA, and generally on the project management
side.

I like the idea to have more parts (regardless whether we advance them to standards individually or not), but I fear that is nothing we can achieve in a very short term. And we have a lot of proposals outstanding that wait to be integrated in the ODF specification. What I would like to avoid is that we spend half a year or a year on further modularization before we are able to integrate proposals. But if there is enough interest in the TC for modularization, we may turn this into a longer running task, for instance by creating a SC. That SC may work out a proposal for modularization. And if that is ready, we may apply it to our standard track.

Regards,

Michael Brauer | Oracle Office Development
Phone: +49 40 23646 500
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande