Subject: Re: [office] Thoughts on ODF-Next

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 10:52 -0700, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I wonder if the impact of the problem would be reduced if we can turn
> around standards faster?  In other words, would it be more tolerable if a
> vendor implements a draft 6 months before the standard is finally approved
> compared to implementing it 2 years before approval?  I think that is
> something we have more direct control over.

The problem I have is when a vendor implements a certain feature from a
draft and the specification is found wanting. Obviously there would be
some reluctance to change a specification in a incompatible way to that
implementation. So implementing a feature from a draft can have the
effect of cutting off any improvements to that feature.

Now if the feature were implemented using foreign elements no such
problem would exist and if the spec does not change it would be trivial
to change the element name/namespace to match the approved standard.

Andreas
--
Andreas J. Guelzow <andreas.guelzow@concordia.ab.ca>
Concordia University College of Alberta