Subject: Re: [office] ODF-Next - grouping issues?

Patrick,

your suggestion sound good to me.

On 14.01.2011 01:43, Patrick Durusau wrote:
1294965810.26257.3165.camel@ratatosk.home.org" type="cite">
Greetings!

I took a few minutes today to scroll down the list of ODF-Next issues
and must say it is an impressive list!

Given the train schedule that seems to be under popular discussion -
approx. 6 months, let me suggest a means of making a cut at the issues
that will be resolved for the next version of ODF:

At the start of each month, generate a list of issues that have
completed proposals for incorporation.

Some of those, after the first month, will have been incorporated in the
next draft so that will be a measure of our progress.

The issues that have not been incorporated, due to lack of agreement on
the proposals or other changes needed in the proposals, become the first
priority for the TC in the following month.

Issues that don't have proposals are just that, issues that don't have
proposals.

Nothing prevents any TC member or even a member of the public from
contributing a proposal but the existence of a proposal should be the
starting point for further TC action.

I think such a process would keep us focused on issues that have a
substantial likelihood of appearing in the next version and make it
clear to anyone who cares about an issue, that caring isn't enough. A
"fully formulated proposal" is required for the issue to progress.

BTW, "fully formulated proposal" means all the required text/edits have
been specified along, optionally, whatever arguments you wish to make.
(It helps if you specify needed formatting.)

In other words, saying: "you need a better table model," as a proposal
gets a shrug and we move onto the next issue. I happen to think that is
true but such a "proposal" could not be usefully evaluated by the TC.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

PS: Don't forget to vote on CD07!

--
Oracle
Michael Brauer | Oracle Office Development

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Green Oracle Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment