Subject: Re: [office] Thoughts on ODF-Next

Hi Andreas,

Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

> While I realize that we can't mandate that and in fact have no control
> over whether a vendor calls their format ODF1.3 or whatever, I thin kwe

A CSD approval is the first level of approval in the OASIS TC process.
So, if we approve an ODF 1.3 draft as CSD, and if an implementor
implements this CSD, why shouldn't that be called ODF 1.3? How would you
call it instead?

> at least should not encourage that behaviour as suggested.

To which suggestion do you refer? My initial proposal neither contains
the term "encourage", nor "recommend".

All I was suggesting in the first place was that vendors, instead of
implementing extensions to ODF in foreign namespaces, take them to the
TC as proposals, discuss them there, ask for an approval, and implement
what has been agreed in the TC when this has reached CSD level. Please
note that this is no unconditional recommendation to implement CSD. It
is also neither a recommendation to implement extensions, or to use all
features in their products immediately when they reached CSD level.

What do you think is wrong with this? Do you think it is better if every
vendor has its own set of extensions?

What was also discussed in this thread was whether we should encourage
vendors in general to implement CSDs. This was not subject of my initial
suggestions. But when the OASIS TC process requests statements of use
from OASIS members, it clearly encourages TC members to implement the
specification a TC produces before they reached the OASIS standard
approval. That is the case regardless whether we as TC encourage TC
members to implement CSDs. It's part of the process, and I personally
think that this is good. Because to get feedback from implementors
before a standard is approved is of course much better than repairing a
standard after it has been approved.

Michael Brauer | Oracle Office Development
Phone: +49 40 23646 500
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande