Subject: Re: [office] Versions and ODF-Next: was Thoughts on ODF-Next

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 01/18/2011 07:54:58 AM:

> Greetings!
>
> I have changed the subject line to make it a little more obvious what is
> under discussion.
>
> What I am missing in this discussion is what advantage is there to
> having a designation, say ODF 1.3, that identifies *different* versions
> of ODF?

Advantage:   If there are more than one vendor who can read the same draft
of ODF then they can handle in a more coordinated way any incompatible
specification changes between that draft and subsequent versions.

> Or to put it differently: What is the disadvantage in *accurately*
> identifying the version of ODF that is being implemented?

Disadvantage:  This may not be sufficient.  In practice, early
implementations of a draft may have incompatibilities as much caused by
differing interpretations of the same specifications as by the use of
different versions of the specifications.  That is one reason why we
encourage early implementation, why we have plugfests, etc.  Merely
knowing that someone has implemented "ODF 1.3 CSD01" may not tell enough.
You may need to look also at the <meta:generator> element in meta.xml.

Also, we need to remember that a given editor may actually implement
several versions of ODF, and even a given ODF document may be conformant
to several versions of ODF.  So having a string that says "I am conforming
to this version of the spec" will not reflect the fullness of the facts
and circumstances.  If a document conforms to ODF 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2
(including all CSDs of them) as well as ODF 1.3 CSD01, then any single
value of a "version-supported" attribute would be a lie.  And what if
(hypothetically) there was an error in ODF 1.2 CSD-02, making the document
conformant to all previous drafts except that one.  Even a
"latest-version-conformant-to" attribute would not work there.

So no objections per se to adding an attribute for this kind of
information, though I don't see in practice how it could be made accurate
or useful.

-Rob