Subject: Re: [office] Thoughts on ODF-Next

Hi,

On 18.01.2011 15:34, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
OFCF1A322A.C804264B-ON8525781C.004CFCBF-8525781C.004FB36D@lotus.com" type="cite">
<thorsten.zachmann@nokia.com> wrote on 01/18/2011 03:43:28 AM:

There is one thing which needs thinking. If a vendor implements a
feature as described in a CSD and releases the software using the
features there will be documents which use that feature. When then
later the feature is changed in a incompatible way applications that
don't support the CSD will not be able to show the document
correctly which is very bad for interoperability.

What do others think about that?

This is true.  But the alternative proposals are also poor for
interoperability, such as using a non-ODF namespace. The real problem is
when an implementation writes a document that does not conform to
non-extended ODF.  Whether this is done by vendor extensions, or by
implementation of a draft version of ODF that then changes, or due to a
bug, or whatever, the effect is the same.  If you are writing out markup
that others do not understand, or which they understand differently, than
you have this problem.

I agree. Another alternative would be to not implement CSDs at all. But that's also poor for interoperability, because we then will notice interoperability issues between applications, regardless what caused it, only after the approval as OASIS standard. It is when much more difficult to correct them than it is if a specification is in CSD state. Having interop issues in CSD implementations for sure isn't good, but having them in an OASIS standard is worse.
OFCF1A322A.C804264B-ON8525781C.004CFCBF-8525781C.004FB36D@lotus.com" type="cite">
No amount of syntactic sugar around version attributes will solve this
problem.

But one way approach to dealing with this issue is to raise the bar for
what gets into an approved CSD. In other words, give it sufficient
scrutiny so that we have high confidence that once a CSD has been approved
that the feature will not change in major ways.  I'm not speaking
absolutes, but a commitment that we will not approve a feature
unless/until we have a high level of confidence.

I agree, and I think that's a very good point. It is us, the ODF TC, who develops ODF. We control ODF. If we think a proposal is questionable or details are missing, then we don't have to accept that.

Actually, we have already a (relative) high bar for the integration proposals, when we say that only proposal that are detailed enough that they can be integrated into the specification.shall be approved. This is a prerequisite to determine that enough details are present so that the proposal can be implemented in an unambiguous way,
OFCF1A322A.C804264B-ON8525781C.004CFCBF-8525781C.004FB36D@lotus.com" type="cite">
In other words:

1) We have no control over what vendors implement and when they implement
it and what they call it.

Right. But we can and must assume that vendors that implement ODF are interested in interoperable implementations.

OFCF1A322A.C804264B-ON8525781C.004CFCBF-8525781C.004FB36D@lotus.com" type="cite">
2) Merely renaming things is obviously syntactic sugar and has no real
effect

3) The only thing we as a TC control is the contents of a specification
and whether it is approved as a CSD.

So I suggest that we apply ourselves to where we have the most direct
influence.

I agree

Michael

OFCF1A322A.C804264B-ON8525781C.004CFCBF-8525781C.004FB36D@lotus.com" type="cite">