Subject: Re: [office] OFFICE-3311 - Identifiers - review and consolidate identifiersand references to identifiers

On 19.01.2011 12:28, Patrick Durusau wrote:
1295436484.26257.4247.camel@ratatosk.home.org" type="cite">
Andreas,

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 20:47 -0700, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 19:43 -0700, Patrick Durusau wrote:

Dennis,

OK, I see where I jumped the track so to speak.

My assumption is and has been that ODF-Next = ODF 2.0.

Six months to ODF 2.0? Like Dennis, I thought we were talking about ODF
1.3.

No, if we are doing CSDs every six months, working towards a release in
two years (Michael's estimate), which accumulates up the CSDs to that
point, why couldn't that be ODF 2.0?

Right, my assumption was two years from now.

1295436484.26257.4247.camel@ratatosk.home.org" type="cite">
Not saying it would be, entirely the TCs decision but two years of CSDs
to do a point release of corrections seems a bit slow. Particularly
since moving quickly to standardization is alleged to be a feature of
the OASIS process.

If it gets entirely incompatible, then the next version should be called ODF 2.0. But we may call the next version ODF 2.0 even if it remains largely compatible.

1295436484.26257.4247.camel@ratatosk.home.org" type="cite">
>From my personal point of view the entire point of the ODF 1.2 exercise
was to make changes, if deemed necessary and useful by the TC, *easier*.

That doesn't mean we need to make any particular change but to enable
changing where there is a real benefit to the change.

That's a possible approach. But we are at the beginning of the development of the next version. If we agree now that the next ODF version gets incompatible, then it may happen that many proposal that we develop get incompatible, simply because they could. It may also happen that the proposals for which we enabled incompatibilities never make it into the specification. That would be bad.

Oracle
Michael Brauer | Oracle Office Development
Phone: +49 40 23646 500 | |
Oracle Office Global Business Unit

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Green Oracle Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment