Subject: ODF proposal standing rule (revision 2)

Dear TC members,

please find below a revised proposal for a standing rule regarding proposals for the next ODF version.

The most important change compared to my last proposal is that I have removed all details how we use JIRA. These are now informally documented in the Wiki, where I have updated the page that describes how we work on proposals. The idea is to have just the basic rules in the standing rule, so that we can adapt the details of how to use JIRA easily. But since JIAR isn't always  easy to use and also not reliable regarding notifications, I have explicitly kept the option to use the mailing list for request. However, the idea is that the mailing list is only used if the use of JIRA does not work in a particular case, for whatever reason.

I have further removed all agenda related items, and other details that appear to be unnecessary,

So, here is the new proposal.

1. Any substantive additions, deletions or changes to the ODF specificationmust be initiated by a TC member by submitting a Proposal. For all proposals, a JIR issue must exist. For all proposals, TC members should follow the Proposal Instructions[1].

2. A TC member wishing to make a Proposal (the Proposer) should first announce their intention to make a Proposal as defined by the Proposal Instructions[1] or on the ODF TC's mailing list. Detail is not needed at this point, but such notification is recommended in order to let other interested TC members know that someone is working in this area and to prevent duplication of effort.

3. The Proposer controls the content of the Proposal and the pace at which the Proposal advances towards approval. As it is discussed, TC members may propose changes to the Proposal. However, the control of the proposal remains at the proposer.

5. When the Proposal is ready for broader discussion within the TC, the Proposer must notify the TC as defined by the Proposal Instructions[1], or post a link to it to the TC's mailing list to solicit feedback.

6. When the Proposer wishes for the Proposal to be discussed in a TC meeting, he or she must notify the TC as defined by the Proposal Instructions[1], or on the TC's mailing list.

7. When the completion of  a proposal has been announced, when the proposal is detailed enough to be integrated into the specification, when no objections are raised in the issue within one week, and if the TC's schedule for Committee Specification Drafts permits this, the TC editors may integrate the proposal. Already integrated proposals may be revised or amended by subsequent proposals. No proposal shall be voted on unless it formally meets the definition of "contribution" as defined by OASIS IPR Policy. A proposal shall be considered detailed enough if it contains the exact text to be added top the specification and the exact changes to the schema (where required), or instructions to the TC editor how the exact text and schema changes can be derived.

8. When above conditions are met but objections are raised to a proposal, the Proposer may request a vote to accept his or her Proposal.

[1] http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/How_to_propose_a_change_or_addition_to_ODF

Oracle
Michael Brauer | Oracle Office Development
Phone: +49 40 23646 500

Oracle Office Global Business Unit

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Green Oracle Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment