Subject: Re: [office] Forensics: Working with the ODF 1.1 ODT version

Hi Dennis,

I had a closer look at the ODF 1.1 ODF document:
The final version of this document has been created with StarOffice 8
PU2 - equivalent with OOo 2.0.2 - under operating system Solaris Sparc.
The used fonts are different on Solaris compared to the ones under e.g.
Windows. Thus, I think it will be very hard to find an ODF consumer for
Windows which will show the same layout result as the StarOffice 8
PU2/OOo 2.0.2 under the used Solaris system. I opened the document with
OOo 2.0.2 under Windows 7 64bit and got 723 pages.
My conclusion is that we should not rely our erratas on page and line
references - as you already said.

Ad your reported table split defects:
I opened this document with OOo 3.3 under Windows 7 64bit. I
investigated all tables which split at the end of a page. I did not
experience any of the defects which you have reported.
I recall that there are defects in the layout algorithm of the one or
the other OOo 2.x version regarding splitting tables. These has been
fixed. Thus I suggest to use the lastest release, in case that you want
to use OOo (or any of the alternatives which are based on OOo).

Best regards, Oliver.

On 28.03.2011 18:52, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I have had an unexpected glitch in my wanting to start from the
> editable ODF Text version of the OASIS ODF 1.1 Standard.  The
> versions of ODF consumers that I have do not match the pagination
> that is shown in the PDF of the OASIS ODF 1.1 Standard.  The
> difference is substantial.  The ODF consumers I have used all end up
> with fewer pages (719 pages in OO.o 2.4.1, 720 pages in OO.o 3.2.0,
> 718 pages in LibreOffice 3.3.2) instead of 738 pages in the PDFand it
> appears to be related to how automatic page breaks are done.
>
> The screen capture illustrates the 1-page difference between OO.o
> 2.4.1 and LOffice 3.3.2.  In 2.4.1, section 9 is one page longer.
> The creeping that ends up with one extra page begins in section 9.9
> in the page break just before the Event Effect subsection.  (OO.o
> 3.2.0 on a different machine has the break still different.)  There
> may have been other differences in page breaks before this, but none
> of them changed the table of contents page numbers for any of the
> indexed headings.
>
> As discussed on today's call, this is not a material problem for
> creating an Errata 01 so long as we don't continue the practice of
> the ODF 1.0 Errata 01 of using page and line numbers.  I agree, we
> can provide errata item description in a way that do not require page
> and line references, and I had intended to do it that way.
>
> However, the problem with pagination differences is that I am then
> left to wonder what else is being done differently.  For that reason,
> I would much prefer to use some sort of style or other adjustments to
> have a pagination that is preserved in interchange among ODF
> consumers and that leads to a matching PDF.
>
> In fact, in examining shorter pagination in a current ODF consumer, I
> saw that some table breaks were being presented incorrectly.  This is
> apparently a bug in some consumers and I need to work around it.
> (And this is why it is important to understand what the pagination
> differences are all symptoms of and finding some way to mitigate
> them.)
>
> - Dennis
>
> PS: Here are details of the bug as something to watch out for when
> working on ODF TC specifications.  I am not sure how to report it and
> to whom, but here are the symptoms:
>
> 1. A table is split between two pages.  The table is styled so that
> table rows are not themselves split, and headings are also preserved
> on continuation pages.
>
> 2. Sometimes, the table is split such that the last table row before
> the split appears to have disappeared.
>
> 3. Apparently the last row retained before the split is there, but it
> extends below the page body frame such that it is not visible.  In
> the case I observed, none of the clipped row was visible at all, but
> it was observable that the top of another row was there (because the
> vertical border lines of the table could be seen extending below the
> last-visible row).

> [...]

ORACLE http://www.oracle.com
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann | Oracle Open Office and ODF Standardization
Phone: +49 40 23646 500
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

http://www.oracle.com/commitment
Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help
protect the environment