Subject: Re: [office] Motion to certify that all schema and XML instances includedin the ODF 1.2 specification are valid

Hi Michael,

Are you sure that a vote is needed for this?  I don't see a requirement
for a vote anywhere.   In any case, this would be an odd thing for someone
to vote for, since it is not really a question of preference or approval.

"Certification" is an odd word to use here.  The TC Process uses it in
only one other place, to speak of TC Admins certifying a Work Product with
"Designated Cross-Reference Changes".  If you go back to the August 2006
version of the Process, they had a requirement for "Certification by at
least three OASIS member organizations that they are successfully using
the specification".  The language for this requirement was changed in 2007
to "Statements of Use" rather than "certification".    In that case
certification does not imply a vote.

Another problem is in  "all expressions are valid".  This makes zero
sense.  "Expression" is not a term of art in the XML specification.  Relax
NG defines "expression" but that is an abstraction of the grammar,  In
Relax NG an "element" is what is valid with respect to a schema.

Further, I think it is not reasonable to expect that "fragments" of XML
will be valid. A fragment for example, may be shown in an figure in a
specification, as an illustration, perhaps collapsing irrelevant
attributes, omitting namespace declarations, or without showing a
necessary parent element or elements, or targets of an IDREF.   This is
common practice.  But it should be encouraged to require that these be
"feasibly valid", which is  a broader concept that says that with
additions of attributes and elements (but no other changes) that the
fragment could be made valid.

There is not much we can do about this requirement at this point.  But
something for OASIS to consider is restating this requirement as something
like this:

Definitions:

Formal notation: Specification of normative requirements using a notation
other than prose or mathematical notation, e.g., schema definitions, XML
instances, EBNF, etc.

Validation Report: A report listing all normative formal notations in a
Committee Specification, whether by inclusion or reference, along with a
list of corresponding and governing formal notations, as well as a output
from a validator demonstrating that each instance of formal notation
conforms with the requirements of the governing notation with which it
claims adherence.

And then state the requirement as:

"(c) Approval by Simple Majority Vote by the TC of a Validation Report for
the Committee Specification"

That would make more sense, since is easier to see what approving a report
entails than trying to imagine what it means for each of us as individuals
to "certify" to dozens of validation micro-facts than few of us will
personally verify.  It also eliminates any requirements on non-normative
example fragments.  It also acknowledges that some standards have a formal
notation that is not XML, for example in OpenFormula.

In any case, no harm in having a vote on this.

-Rob

MICHAEL BRAUER <michael.brauer@oracle.com> wrote on 04/01/2011 07:37:50
AM: