Subject: "document template"

Greetings!

Before I create an issue for this I wanted to get some feedback on the
issue and its possible resolution.

In 19.796.8 <text:template-name> we specify information to be displayed
about a document template. But, we never define a document template.

Contrast that with the definitions of index templates in Chapter 8 for
example.

Interoperability would be increased by defining what is meant by
"document template," other than as something that can be pointed to and
named. (xlink:href attribute on <meta:template> and xlink:title on

At first I thought we could use template definitions like we do with
index entries but those are relatively simple when compared to a
document template (or what I imagine a document template to be).

Then I thought we could simply say that <meta:template> element
attributes have to point at conformant ODF documents as templates.

But if we do that, then what happens to the ODF document we are "in,"
that is where the pointing happens? Do we insert the document template
document at a point of insertion? Does it start at the top of the file?
Is the result some merging of the styles, etc. of the first document and
the document template? If so, by what rules?

Part of the problem is that there isn't (to me anyway) a meaningful
distinction between an ODF document and an ODF document being used as a
document template. At one point in time templates were structurally
different from documents but not any more.

Which of course crosses all the master-styles stuff as well.

Questions:

1) Should we simply lose all the document template language and
pointers? Reasoning that you can simply start off with an ODF document
that has pre-defined contents and styles, what some might have called a
"template."

Adv. Avoids the merging of styles/formatting issues, which might be
difficult to define with any precision.

DisAdv. Would eliminate some elements and attributes, possibly causing
backwards compatibility issues.

2) If we keep it, how do we fashion rules for inter-mixing present
document and "template" rules?

Suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

Hope everyone is having a great day!