Subject: fo, svg, smil "compatible" namespaces

Greetings!

This question is broader than the fo, svg, smil "compatible" namespaces
but it is a place to start the discussion.

As you know, elements and attributes in the "compatible" namespaces
share some but not all of the values, behaviors and semantics of those
elements and attributes in their native namespaces.

As part of ODF 1.3/ODF-Next, I would like to see the attributes and
elements of other namespaces used *as defined* in those namespaces.

In part it is a question of separation of concerns and expertise. I
assume that while we have members of the ODF Committee who are
conversant with fo, svg, smil, that the committees that maintain those
standards have deeper wells of expertise to draw upon.

It would make maintenance of ODF proper easier if we re-use standards
developed by experts in those areas, not to mention enabling
implementers to use a modular approach that selects libraries/engines
for those particular standards.

That re-use of other standards and software, however, presumes that our
usage is consistent with that of the standards we are invoking.

This is not simply a matter of convenience for the standards committee
but how this will affect current and future implementers of ODF. So I
anticipate discussion/debate on the various options before us.

Just to pose something to respond to, let me phrase the proposal as follows:

For ODF 1.3/ODF-Next (tbd) the elements and attributes in the fo, svg,
smil "compatible" names spaces should be reformed to be consistent with
their native namespaces.

I am sure there are all sorts of variants but please take that as a
straw proposal for discussion purposes.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net