Subject: Re: Towards a more modular ODF?

Rob,

As you know, I have no problems with the general idea of a more modular
ODF, particularly when it comes to following other standards as part of
becoming more modular.

And I think everyone would like to see the next version of ODF, whether
an ODF 1.3 or ODF-Next, quicker than we reached ODF 1.2.

But before we debate the merits of being more modular, which would take
in the concerns about dependencies, where to make divisions, how that
impacts the standards process (do we have
committee-specification-draft-ODF-part-20?) and other concerns,
shouldn't we ask if being more or less modular is really the problem?

That is are we assuming more modular = greater speed and less modular =
less speed?

I don't see any evidence for either proposition at this point.

For example, if being more modular would result in faster action, we
should be able to point to some supposed separate "module" that is ready
to go to ODF 1.3 in the relatively near future. That is some part of ODF
whose progress is being retarded by the progress on some other part.

Can you name one? I can't.

To give us a basis for deciding on more or less modularity, let me
suggest an addition to our current roadmap.

Instead of the current file a bug/proposal by date X methodology, as a
TC let's develop a set of features for ODF 1.3/ODF-Next.

So that like software projects, open source and otherwise, there is a
set of targets and the question becomes one of tracking the resources
that are devoted to meeting those targets.

Then if some part of those targets begins to lag, we can either decide
to devote more resources to it or try to separate it out so it doesn't
delay the next release.

Being more specific about that features we want for the next release may
(no guarantees) prompt others to devote resources to make those features
a reality.

So, rather than take up your modular question now, my suggestion is that
we develop requirements for ODF 1.3/ODF-Next and start putting resources
along side those requirements. To put us more on a traditional software
project basis.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net