Subject: Re: [office] Towards a more modular ODF

On 25/07/2011 13:59, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> "Dennis E. Hamilton"<dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote on 07/24/2011
> 11:05:25 AM:
>> ..snip
>> restructure the specification would put a serious spanner into that
>> ambition, it seems to me.
>>
>> We also have not figured out how we would manage the
>> interdependencies among modules. We are mostly OK with Part 3
>> (although there are some strange dependencies, such as the one about
>> the manifest:version on "/" being mandatory according to Part 1).  I
>> think we are just learning with regard to OpenFormula, and some
>> other provisions are clearly cross-cutting and aspected, such as
>> change tracking.  Likewise accessibility, I imagine.
>>
> Yes, this would be work and obviously nothing happens without volunteers
> to do the work.  But if, hypothetically, such resources were available,
> and we could do this without blowing up the ODF 1.3 schedule, then would
> it be a good idea?
Yes, it would be a good idea!

The argument of whether the benefits outway the costs is important, but
the other side of that coin is whether the continued growth or a very
large and complex monolithic standard can be managed as it gets yet
bigger and more complex. I think it will slowly grind to a halt,
especially with only volunteer labour available. So some way of
splitting things up seems to be absolutely necessary.

Robin

Robin La Fontaine, Director, DeltaXML Ltd  "Change control for XML"
T: +44 1684 592 144  E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com
http://www.deltaxml.com
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK