Subject: Re: [office] Re: Towards a more modular ODF?

Change tracking has been mentioned as a possible candidate here, and I suggest what we are calling the Generic Change Tracking (GCT) would be appropriately handled this way. The proposal for Extended Change Tracking (ECT) does not, I believe, lend itself to this approach.

Indeed there are probably other advantages to GCT being developed with a bit of independence as a module:
- it has potential application for other XML formats, so could be a useful contribution to other areas (which might include
any other XML formats that may be included/allowed in ODF in the future)
- there is no XML standard existing in this space at the moment
- it could be selectively incorporated in new versions of ODF as was felt appropriate, e.g. there is a debate in the Advanced Document Collaboration subcommittee at the moment as to whether change tracking in spreadsheets and presentations is needed.
- it is technically fairly complete at the moment (specification, worked and working examples, code, prototype implementations)

However, it is premature to take this forward because the ADC is still debating what approach is best for ODF.

Robin