Subject: Re: [office] My role as TC co-chair

Michael,

On 2011-07-28, at 10:27 , Michael Brauer wrote:

> Dear TC members,
>
> after a little bit less than 10 years it is time for me to say good bye to the ODF TC. This means that by this mail I'm resigning from my position as TC co-chair. I will also leave the ODF TC.

I am sorry to hear this…...

> I was wondering whether after such a long time in the ODF TC I should write a little bit about the success story of ODF. But, well, you all know how ODF changed the world of office documents over that last 10 years. So, I'm saving you and me that.
>
> What remains is to say that I am very glad that I have had the opportunity to work with all of you on ODF. Thank you! And of course I wish you and ODF all the best for the future. ODF 1.2, I'm sure, will add further momentum to ODF.

Michael, at the least, please allow Rob or me (or me) to interview you, and to ask about the obstacles you and the TC faced, the strategies, tactics used, encountered, and the future, as you estimate it.

And please allow me to thank you for your work. Actually, I wish I could do more than that, and I wish I could persuade you to remain involved in the ODF pitch, so that we can move more surely forward. I've been working with you, albeit not on ODF, since 2000, and clearly recall when the first draft of the new XML spec was issued, back in 2001.

A lot has happened. ODF has, indeed, changed the way in which one can think of productivity tools: that there is the tool, and that there is the format, and the two are not the same, and the step to data freedom starts with the recognition of this difference.

Data freedom, at least for "office documents," I'd like to suggest, depends, and will increasingly depend, upon the work you and this TC have done. So much more has to be done before we can really sit back with the satisfaction of knowing that users and consumers around the world have the freedom to choose their application as they will, and retain their data as they want.

> Best regards, and good luck
>
> Michael

Thanks, Michael,

Louis