Subject: Re: [office] Advisories?

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 08/08/2011 05:34:32 AM:

> Greetings!
>
> Dennis Hamilton has proposed in:
>
> http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-3708
>
> That an "advisory" be posted by the OASIS ODF Interoperability and
> Conformance (OIC) TC.
>
> A good idea in that case but it makes me wonder about using "advisories"

> more broadly by the ODF TC.

I believe the intent of an advisory in the OIC TC is not merely to report
an issue, but to give guidance on how implementations might best achieve
interoperability given the state of the ODF standard at any given time. So
an advisory might recommend that implementations accept the incorrect
sha256 tag, as well as the proposed correction, but only write the
corrected value.

In terms of status as an OASIS deliverable, these are really just drafts
that could be bundled into a CSD and taken through the normal review
process.

> That is as we find defects to correct and approve new features to be
> incorporated (or completed in incorporation) shouldn't we be issuing
> advisories as well? Sort of "coming in ODF 1.3/Next" sort of material?

There are not many avenues for the TC to make lightweight official
statements on anything without going through the Committee Specification
or Committee Note process.  See, for example, FAQ #10 here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process-2010-07-28/faq

It is certainly possible to make a Committee Note on "ODF 1.3 Design and
Features" or something like that. It could be publicized even in draft
form, and updated throughout the cycle.  It could then be released as a
non-normative "part" in the standard, as an overview.
For lightweight avenues of communications, there is
http://opendocument.xml.org.  As individuals we're all welcome to post
information there.

So there are many ways that we can communicate as informed individuals.
But there are fewer ways that we can speak as the consensus of the TC, and
those are via formal deliverables, e.g., Committee Notes, etc.

> Building in Rob's suggestion from last week that we have a targeted set
> of features that we can start to promote now as appearing in the next
> version of ODF.
>
> Would not have to be long or fancy but thinking some regular (monthly?)
> communication that is (to use another Rob term) a "heart-beat" from the
> project would be a good idea.
>
> If we wanted to do something along these lines, what would we say on
> September 1st? What new features do we feel confident will be in ODF
> 1.3? I have questions for the implementer side of the house on that but
> I will post those separately.
>
> Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

Was it Napoleon who said, "Don't start a new campaign in August because
everyone is on vacation"?