Subject: Computable Document Format

Greetings!

Just a quick work about YADF (yet-another-document-format) on the horizon - CDF - Computable Document Format - from Wolfram.

There is a comparison with other document formats here:

http://www.wolfram.com/cdf/compare-cdf/how-cdf-compares.html

I would note that several of the "features" are actual application features and not features of the format.

I would also note that ODF was omitted, possibly because the comparison would not have been as favorable to CDF.

I will see if I can do a comparison with ODF and CDF before our next meeting. That should be amusing.

BTW, another point of comparison would be licensing.

On which see:

http://www.wolfram.com/cdf/adopting-cdf/licensing-options.html

Gee, in order to use the "free" version I have to be a billboard for Wolfram?

Well, its their format and they can license it anyway they like but my preference will remain for ODF and MathML.

Speaking of which, what features do you think we would need to add to ODF as a format to compete? (If any.)

And would vendors be interested in supporting such additions?

I think we have the hooks or almost so for rendering graphics from tables, etc. although there are a couple of items we need to make stronger.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mathematica as software and Wolfram's many contributions, such as their online dictionary, to the community. I am less enthusiastic about people who muddy up the document format space with niche formats that simply complicate life for users and vendors alike.

;-)

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Patrick

PS: The files: Introduction to Manipulate, http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/IntroductionToManipulate.cdf, How to Create a Computable Document Format (CDF) File, http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/howto/CreateAComputableDocumentFormatFile.cdf are only available in CDF format. How cute.

PPS: The CDF format supports all the functions of Mathematica. Are there any classes of functions in Mathematica that cannot be rendered in MathML? Just curious.
patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net