Subject: Re: [office] chart:interpolation

Andreas,

OK, I will defer edits on this issue pending your proposal and any action by the TC.

Thanks!

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

On 11/08/2011 04:16 PM, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 13:36 -0700, Patrick Durusau wrote:
Andreas,

On 11/03/2011 04:36 PM, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

<snip>

I wasn't as confused as I thought.
That's always a comfort. ;-)

A small bug in the current
development version of Gnumeric hid some of the interpolation methods
implemented there.

So I will be proposing a few more methods:

   * Cubic spline interpolation with parabolic limits.
   * Cubic spline interpolation with cubic limits.
   * Cubic spline interpolation with fixed derivatives at both ends.

Rather than adding more attribute values to the chart:interpolation
attribute, I believe it would be cleaner (and more in the spirit of the
already existing chart:spline-* attribute) to use secondary attributes
chart:spline-limits, chart:spline-limits-start, chart:spline-limits-end
that would modify the cubic-spline interpolation already provided in ODF
1.2.
To confirm before you enter them in JIRA:

chart:spline-limits

chart:spline-limits-start

chart:spline-limits-end

Valuetype = ?
Until the proposal is finished, I don't think I am sure which value
types will be the most appropriate. chart:spline-limits-start/end are
probably going to be expressions that shall evaluate to a number.
chart-spline-limits will be some kind of enumeration.
What do we have to reference in current 20:26? (I know it is probably
obvious but we should not simply say: apply to 20:26 as appropriate.)
In 20.26 this would not affect the text for the step functions but it
will change the limit handling in the cubic splines.
On prose for these attributes, let's avoid:

20.51 If the chart:spline-resolution attribute has value 1 this
is identical to the chart:interpolation attribute value none.
That is really awkward and I am not altogether sure it is necessary.
I am not sure why that sentence is preceded by "20.51" (that's the
section describing  "chart:spline-resolution".) The purpose of that
sentence is intended to provide a definition for b-spline (and
cubic-spline) in the case of the resolution 1. Of course one could omit
that sentence since in the case resolution == 1 the described method
yields the same result as using method none.

Unless we mean to bind the value of chart:spline-resolution to
chart:interpolation? That is if chart:spline-resolution>  1 then
chart:interpolation *cannot* have the value of none?

Gnumeric also provides:
* Closed Bezier cubic spline interpolation.
Since this is not really a proper "interpolation" method, I am not sure
this would be appropriately added here unless other implementations
provided a similarly closed interpolation.

Other implementers? Anyone?
My comment wasn't quite correct. The description of the cubic-spline
method reflects the implementation in LibreOffice/OpenOffice: If the
first and last data point are the same then a closed cubic spline is
created otherwise an open one. In Gnumeric one would need to specify
whether one wants a closed or open cubic spline, there is no automatic
guessing of whether a closed or open spline is used. (Note that an
"open" spline with the first and last data point the same simply has a
corner at that point. This is something that may be expected by a user
and provides a continuous behaviour as the last and first data point
approach each other.)

So I will make a proposal that allows both behaviours to be specified.

Andreas

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)