Subject: Requirements for next Monday?

Greetings!

Apologies for not sending this out sooner.

Everyone on the call Monday is aware that we are not having an official TC call next Monday but the select committee will be having a public meeting to discuss requirements.

As in the specification of requirements.

Subject to the wishes of those present, I think we need to capture as many requirements as possible. And understand what they mean.

But to capture as many as possible, that means we can't discuss the relative merits of each proposed requirement. It will be sufficient unto the day to simply capture them.

For example, I think one obvious requirement is to be able to turn change tracking on and off. You may or may not think that is a good requirement, nor may I upon reflection. But our goal next Monday is to get it recorded. Not its overall merits.

There are a lot of requirements "hidden" in various application interfaces and it makes me nervous when people say: "Oh, what the current implementations do." Well intentioned but not terribly useful.

So, gird up and use email to get a head start on listing your requirements. If you want to be really helpful, you can say what applications currently have those capabilities.

This isn't a one shot deal or your only chance. However, recall the #1 we want to make progress and #2 get this into the next release. Don't be shy with your requirements.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
OASIS Technical Advisory Board (TAB) - member

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau