Subject: Re: [office] Evolving ODF, Interop and Multiple Implementations

Rob Weir wrote:
> I'd like to suggest that we do this based on the existence of *multiple
> implementations* of the new capability, or at least of committed plans of
> multiple implementers to implement the new capability.

Hi Rob,

I would presume some level of endorsement by multiple implementers
is already implied when new features get voted in to ODF. I'm
unconvinced we should add more ceremony at this point, possibly
leading to an even slower evolvement of ODF?

> In other words, I'd like to discourage adding capabilities to ODF 1.3
> unless it promotes interoperability.

There is a certain circularity in this argument. If a majority of
the TC deems an addition or change to ODF useful, we should get it
in.

Best regards,

--

Thorsten Behrens

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg; GF: Jeff
Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)