Subject: Re: [office] Naming advice on multi-parts

On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 10:48 -0700, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> One question I thought of after the meeting ended.   Do we need to do
> anything for the abbreviated names to make the file names sort
> naturally by part?  This would be a good property to enable, I think.
>
> Right now we're proposing abbreviated names like:
>
> odf-intro
> odf-packages
> odf-documents
> odf-openformula
>
> and so on.
>
> The current file naming conventions don't say anything about parts.
>  But note that putting a part identifier after our abbreviation would
> not sort by part.  But putting the part number like this would:
>
> odf-part01-intro
> odf-part02-packages
> odf-part03-documents
> odf-part04-openformula
>

> (In other words, do we need an abbreviation for parts that are
> separate from the abbreviation for the overall specification?)

I think it is a great idea to have them sort correctly. Having a 'part'
or 'p' or so may be important to avoid confusing the part number with an
ODF version, especially since it would follow odf. WHile we don't need
the leading 0 at this time, it is probably could future planning to
include it already.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA