Subject: Re: [office] Confirming name for ODF 1.3

<office@lists.oasis-open.org> wrote on 01/11/2013 10:43:04 AM:

> I submitted the template request form for ODF 1.3, with the part
> names previously discussed.  I receive a response from Paul, who
> wanted to confirm the base name.
>
> I was requesting "Open Document Format 1.3", which might be
> normalized to "Open Document Format Version 1.3"
>
> With ODF 1.2 we had a longer formal name:  "Open Document Format for
> Office Applications (OpenDocument) Version 1.2"
>
> Are we agreed that we want the shorter name, without the "for Office
> Applications" part?
>
> If there any objections to the proposed shorter name, please let me know ASAP.

OK.  I'll object ;-)

I gave it some more thought, and here's one issue with the rename.  In some places ODF has been adopted in regulations.  In those cases the standard is called out by name, either the OASIS or the ISO name.   In some cases a specific version is also required.  But there are some cases where the regulation specifies a version, but also allows for later versions as well.  I was told this was the case in Portugal, for example.

So if we make arbitrary name changes to the standard -- from version to version -- this could cause confusion.  It would not be immediately evident that "Open Document Format 1.3" is a successor to "Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) Version 1.2".  Or at least it would leave the potential for confusion.

So I'm now proposing that we keep the base name as it was in ODF 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 and merely update the version number, to "Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) Version 1.3".

Your thoughts?

Regards,

-Rob