Subject: Re: [office] List style resolution

Hi,

I agree that this area can and should be improved joining the different sections together.

I would like to mentioned that only "searching" for the list style is not enough. It need to be "searched" the "closest" list style which contains the list level properties for the list level of the corresponding list item.
Thus, may be the <text:list> the <text:list-item> is in has a list style, but if this list style does not contain the list level properties for the given list level the "search" needs to be "continued".

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann

--
Advisory Software Engineer
IBM Deutschland
Beim Strohhause 17
20097 Hamburg
Phone: +49-40-6389-1415
E-Mail: orwitt@de.ibm.com
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294

From:        Svante Schubert <svante.schubert@gmail.com>
To:        ODF TC List <office@lists.oasis-open.org>,
Date:        01.02.2013 09:47
Subject:        [office] List style resolution
Sent by:        <office@lists.oasis-open.org>

Before writing a JIRA issue, I would like to briefly discuss the following with you:

In our ODF 1.2 specification the resolution for the list style being used to create a list label, is described among

http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html#ListDefaultStyle
and

http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html#ListItemStyleRules

I would suggest following improvements:

1.        Join both sections as they describe the solution of the same problem: the resolution of the list style to create a label before the first paragraph/heading of a list item
2.        Mention the usage of the attribute http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html#attribute-style_list-style-name more explicitly (currently described as third point within 5.3.2 Default List Style - first reference above), e.g. and reference to the attribute.
3.        Mention the usage of the attribute http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html#attribute-text_style-override  and reference to the attribute.

Let me try to explain how the list style is being resolved:
List styles are in general resolved similar as in CSS - choosing the closest definition (to the label or the first paragraph) as highest priority.
(This behavior is explicitly described at the last paragraph of
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html#element-text_list "Every list, including sub lists, may have a list style which is applied to its list items and sub lists. A list style specified for a sub list overrides the list style specified for the list in which the sub list is contained."). Only the reference within the paragraph is an anomaly as the closest reference has the lowest priority.

Therefore from my understanding a list style to determine the label before the first paragraph/heading would be resolved in the following order:
1.        The paragraph/heading's list style reference from its closest <text:list> or <text:list-item> ancestor is taken. <text:list> uses the attribute @text:style-name and <text:list-item> the attribute @text:style-override respectively.
2.        If no list style was given by any <text:list> nor <text:list-item> ancestor the list-style reference of the paragraph style is being chosen, i.e. the @style:list-style-name attribute within the paragraph style <style:style> element.

After the list style is determined the correct style properties for the appropriate list level have to be chosen, but here I found no ambiguity and it should be neglected to focus on the above improvement.

Regards,
Svante