Subject: Re: [office] Continued Lists

On 04/02/13 15:12, Svante Schubert wrote:
> As we started to discuss lists, allow me to continue this old thread.
>
> In ODF 1.2 it is not mentioned that the attribute @text:continue-list is
> only allowed on the root element, see
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html#attribute-text_continue-list
> Although it makes sense and was suggested that way.

indeed it does.  LibreOffice ignores text:continue-list except when on a
root text:list element.

> Another defect seems that
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html#attribute-text_continue-list
> made it to the <text:number-paragraph>
> https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-1896

right, my assumption is if i filed an issue about it it must be wrong :)

> But IMHO <text:number-paragraph> should be deprecated anyway, as they
> are not adding a feature to ODF, only further complexity.

i agree with you that it does not really make sense to have 2 different
list representations in ODF because it's just unnecessary complexity;
deprecation sounds good.

for the record, AFAIK OpenOffice.org and its forks have never written
text:numbered-paragraph elements; OpenOffice.org only supports reading
it since version 3.1.  at the time when i implemented that, the only
producer i could find that wrote these was KOffice 1.x.

> Knowing what I know now, I am longing for an List ID attribute, instead
> of references.
> Following scenario: There is a list consistent of three separated parts
> A, B, C in the document. C is pointing to B and B is pointing to A.
> If we are moving part A in-between B and C, we have to update all three
> references, while a document wide List ID at the list, list-item or
> paragraph (which is the finally property holder anyway) would be far easier.

if i understand it right the problem is that text:list has an xml:id
attribute which is an ID and therefore has an uniqueness constraint.

of course ODF implementations may have internal structures that use the
same list ID on all "elements" of the list internally and only convert
to the ODF representation with distinct xml:id and text:continue-list on
export; are you thinking about something based on an XML DOM directly?

> Best regards,
> Svante

regards,
 michael