Subject: Re: [office] The ballot to approve submitted ODF 1.2 to the OASIS President for PAS submission has passed

Thanks, Chet,

So we're all on the same page and to be explicit, the ODF TC is submitting this approved written submission request to the OASIS President per the "Policy for submitting OASIS Standards for adoption by other organizations"

https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/liaison#submitwork

The TC-approved submission request is here:

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=50325&wg_abbrev=office

My understanding is we're now at step 3(b) of that process, a 15 day period for the President to review this request.

Another document that I want to bring to Laurent's and Jamie's attention is a draft of the Explanatory Report that accompanies PAS submissions to ISO/IEC JTC1.   This is part of the JTC1 process, not the OASIS process and does not require approval from the TC.    But I have drafted it and reviewed it earlier with Jamie and Patrick, as well as the TC.  No doubt additional changes will be needed, but I recommend it as a starting point for developing the OASIS submission package.

You can find the draft Explanatory Report here:

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/document.php?document_id=48783

The Explanatory Report in turn references a "Reference Specification Explanatory Report" which we have received from PKWare:

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/document.php?document_id=47847

This is part of the JTC1 process, that where we make normative references to 3rd party specifications we must include such a report.  The exception is when we reference specifications from Approved Reference Specification Originators, which includes OASIS, the W3C, etc.   Again, this document does not require approval from the TC, though we have reviewed it.

So my understanding is the full submission package to JTC1 would be comprised of at least:

1) A cover letter to the JTC1 Secretariat

2) The Explanatory Report for ODF 1.2, including the PKWARE Reference Specification Explanatory Report as an annex

3) The ODF 1.2 specification itself, in PDF and original source, including the schema file.  (They have no use for the HTML version)

Jamie, of course, has been through this process many times.  Patrick and I are familiar with at as well, if any questions arise.

Regards,

-Rob