Subject: Fwd: Planned PAS Submission of OASIS ODF v1.2 to JTC 1: draft explanatory report

Dear members of the OpenDocument TC:

As we prepare for the PAS submission of OpenDocument ("ODF") version 1.2 to ISO/IEC JTC 1, please review the attached draft Explanatory Report, which will serve as the transmittal shared with all voting JTC 1 members as part of their PAS ballot.

We believe that the draft is close to final, and has benefited already from input and review from a number of TC members.  Comments should be shared back with this TC list.

Please note also that JTC 1 has modified its requirements for the referencing of external non-de-jure specifications, as described in new Standing Document 5 (Normative References), which can be found in the posted JTC1 rule packages here:

http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink?func=ll&objId=9384365&objAction=browse&sort=name

We have conferred with your TC chairs regarding which references in ODF v1.2, if any, may require updating or explanation, according to that new rule, and I understand this topic will be raised at a TC meeting in the near future.

Finalization of the Explanatory Report and the foregoing matters are the last required steps, prior to our seeking a ballot from the JTC 1 Secretariat.  Please feel free to contact either Chet Ensign or myself, or your TC chairs, if you have any questions or comments.

Kind regards
Jamie Clark

James Bryce Clark, General Counsel
http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark