Subject: Question for the TC about resolving the OpenDocument v1.2 namespace URIs

OpenDocument TC Members,

** Notes w/ details in [1] - [2] below, but you probably do not need to inspect details

On the matter of DNS+HTTP resolution of the two URI references (identifying namespace names) as mentioned earlier [1], I have fixed the OASIS Web server configuration so that the URIs now resolve.  However, my investigation into recommended server configurations for "semantic-web" style NS URIs [often the "hash" type] also prompts an additional question for the TC members:

Do you have a preference as to whether the two URI references resolve to A or B ?

A) directly to the formal OWL ontology files (.owl)
B) indirectly, via the existing XML namespace documents

Documentation available to me on this topic reflects varying professional opinion, as does past/current practice with respect to resolution that best serves the interests of the users, whether human agents or machines  [2].

If you think OpenDocument v1.2 implementations involve semantic web applications that directly make use of the two namespace URIs -- e.g., where a machine defeferences the URI so as to fetch and process the OWL (RFD/XML) source file --  then it may be preferable to implement "A" above

If you think the XML namespace name URIs are typically (or exclusively) used by human agents, e.g., readers who view the prose OpenDocument specifications and click on the two corresponding hyperlinks from the spec cover page, then it may be preferable to implement "B", as is currently done

As far as I know, I can implement "A" or "B" using server directives currently under our control, but I need to know which you prefer.

And yes, I'm aware that some server implementations use content negotiation and related strategies to support the fetching of alternate representations, depending upon particular HTTP requests and resulting client-server interactions.  At this time, we are expecting to support a minimal configuration that involves "A" or "B", but not both.  OASIS has only one standard that contains OWL/RDF artifacts, so we don't have much experience with recommended data preparation and server configs expected for SemWeb files; we may get some experience soon, to support OSLC specs.

- Robin

** Notes:

[1] resolution of URI referenced is borked (404)
    https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/201403/msg00014.html
    https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/201403/msg00013.html

Declared XML namespaces:
** http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/office/1.2/meta/odf#
** http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/office/1.2/meta/pkg#

Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) Version 1.2
OASIS Standard
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os.html
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2.html

OpenDocument v1.2 Metadata Manifest Ontology
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-metadata.owl
ODF Schema Metadata Manifest

OpenDocument v1.2 Package Metadata Manifest Ontology
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-package-metadata.owl
ODF Package Metadata Manifest

OWL file declarations:
xmlns:odf="http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/office/1.2/meta/odf#"
xmlns:pkg="http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/office/1.2/meta/pkg#"

[2] see sample behaviors, from the human-user POV -- using a browser and no advanced HTTP request headers.  With appropriately prepared data and advanced server configurations, one might get (e.g., for "prov#" - "b" below), a representation in HTML (.html), RDF/XML (.rdf), Turtle (.ttl), or W3C XML Schema (.xsd)

a) http://open-services.net/ns/core#
b) http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#
c) http://www.w3.org/ns/dcat#
d) http://www.w3.org/2005/sparql-results#