Subject: RE: [office] ODF 1.2 PAS Submission comment JP5 - OFFICE-3869: proposal for discussion

In the two "If a digital signature". sentences, we should probably use the more normative "shall" terminology, so:

"If a digital signature file is not encrypted, each encrypted file covered by the digital signatures shall be signed in its encrypted form."
and
"If a digital signature file is encrypted, then the files covered by the digital signatures shall be signed in their decrypted forms."

Also, I am not sure I like the "covered by the digital signature" wording. Does this mean "referenced by <ds:Reference> elements" as was in the original wording?

Chris

From: office@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:office@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Sent: 06 January 2015 04:50
To: OASIS OpenDocument TC List

Hi,

next try ;-)

considering Regina's feedback, our discussion in our last TC call and Dennis' feedback given on the comment list I would like to refine my proposed response to JP5:

<proposal>
We agree that the current wording might cause an uncertainty regarding the relationship between encryption and digital signatures.
We suggest to replace the last two paragraphs of section 5.2 in Part 3 by:
"If a digital signature file is not encrypted, each encrypted file covered by the digital signatures is signed in its encrypted form."
and
"If a digital signature file is encrypted, then the files covered by the digital signatures are signed in their decrypted forms."
We also suggest to introduce a new section 3.9 "Interactions Between Encryption and Digital Signatures" with the following content:
"An OpenDocument Package Producer that both encrypts files in the package and applies digital signatures to files in the package should either first encrypt (per section 3.4) and then apply the digital signatures (per section 5) or first apply the digital signatures and then encrypt.
If the encryption of the files is done first, the digital signatures files shall not be encrypted.
If the files in the package are encrypted after applying the digital signatures, the digital signature files shall be encrypted.
See also section 5.2.
It is good pratice is to first encrypt and then apply the digital signatures."
</proposal>

My refinement based on the following observations:
- Dennis replied that we can drop "as identified in META-INF/manifest.xml"
- There can be more than one digital signature file - see section 3.5 in part 3 of ODF 1.2
- There can be more than one digital signature in a digital signature file - see section 5.2 in part 3 of ODF 1.2
- The reference how a digital signature file is encrypted is obsolete.
- The note from Dennis regarding the manifest can be dropped. Section 3.4.1 in part 3 of ODF 1.2 contains this information already from my point of view.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann

--
Advisory Software Engineer