Subject: ODF Chat log 2-27-2017

Greetings!

The ODF teleconference chat log from 2-27-2017:

Jos van den Oever: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2093
Jos van den Oever: Agenda input from Jos: speedup of loading and saving
of xml
Michael Stahl: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2087
Jos van den Oever: Jos has investigated parallel saving and loading of
odf files. deflate allows saving in parallel with no extra file format
changes needed
Jos van den Oever: to load in parallel, we need to specify a data format
to let the application know at which positions in the file format to
start reading which element
Jos van den Oever: Michael: it cannot go into content.xml
Jos van den Oever: Jos: overhead is around 1% or smaller for large
files, because deflate blockes need some padding
Jos van den Oever: Svante: how about large text documents?
Jos van den Oever: Svante: how can we go to a particular page without
parsing everything in front?
Jos van den Oever: Michael: node indexes where page breaks have occured
Jos van den Oever: Michael: index into the node array, special nodes for
paragraphs, images, tables, very specific for LibreOffice. tree
structures is flattened into array
Patrick: I made it.
Svante Schubert: Svante: Just a slide correct to the mentinoing above, I
wanted to jump to the XML of a certain chapter and not necessary to a page
Svante Schubert: What was the ID of the white space problem?
Michael Stahl: Svante: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2102
Svante Schubert: I remember it was problematic when I parsed once the
XML and mapped the text from XML to WYSIWYG
Regina Henschel: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2102
Patrick: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2088
Svante Schubert: I opened the default-values.ods in Google Docs,
accessible under
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rr_nwkCYQvtI_rSiuXWfwfQXXFcjCLNPPQ27zmcarpo/edit?usp=sharing
Svante Schubert: <style:default-style style:family="paragraph">
fo:hyphenation-ladder-count="no-limit"
style:text-autospace="ideograph-alpha" style:punctuation-wrap="hanging"
style:line-break="strict" style:tab-stop-distance="1.251cm"
style:writing-mode="page"/>
style:font-name="Liberation Serif" fo:font-size="12pt" fo:language="de"
fo:country="DE" style:letter-kerning="true"
style:font-name-asian="SimSun" style:font-size-asian="10.5pt"
style:language-asian="zh" style:country-asian="CN"
style:font-name-complex="Lucida Sans" style:font-size-complex="12pt"
style:language-complex="hi" style:country-complex="IN"
fo:hyphenate="false" fo:hyphenation-remain-char-count="2"
fo:hyphenation-push-char-count="2"/>
Svante Schubert: this is from the styles.xml of an empty document being
saved on Windows 10 using LibreOffice 5.3.0.3
Svante Schubert: there is on element about <style:default-style
style:family="paragraph">
Svante Schubert: with two children
Svante Schubert: <style:paragraph-properties
Svante Schubert: <style:text-properties
Svante Schubert: and the values of the attributes within are of interest
for the spreadsheet :)
Svante Schubert: in paragraph there are only
Svante Schubert: fo:orphans="2"
fo:widows="2"
fo:hyphenation-ladder-count="no-limit"
style:text-autospace="ideograph-alpha"
style:punctuation-wrap="hanging"
style:line-break="strict"
style:tab-stop-distance="1.251cm"
style:writing-mode="page"
Svante Schubert: and in the spreadsheet - the URL I pasted earlier - I
see 55 values
Svante Schubert: so about 58 values missing
Svante Schubert: sorry.. :)
Svante Schubert: 47 right?
Svante Schubert: 1:6 existing to missing value ratio
Jos van den Oever: Should be perhaps encourage implementations to be
explicit?
Svante Schubert: +1
Svante Schubert: Application can be explicit in the configuration and
writing all the values out or in the convention to write it into the
specification. We should prefer convention over configuration
Svante Schubert: We should even write obvious default values into the
specification :)
Patrick: but note that applications are not required to record the defaults
Svante Schubert: which we might change to collect default for ODF mime
types now, right?
Svante Schubert: Like border in text is none, but might be set by
default for spreadsheets
Patrick: good question
Patrick: Yes
Svante Schubert: PS: The spreadsheet was taken from the issue (after
following some reference - I guess the last reference)
Patrick: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2102
Patrick: whitespace for next week

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau