Subject: [office] Chat log, ODF Teleconference, March 27, 2017

Greetings!

The chat log from the ODF TC teleconference April 3, 2017:

Please change your name from 'anonymous' using the Settings button

anonymous morphed into Jos van den Oever

anonymous morphed into Aarti

Aarti morphed into Aarti Nankani

Jos van den Oever: Agenda
------

1. Dial-In, Roll Call, Determination of Quorum and Voting Rights

2. Motion (simple majority): Approve the Agenda

3. Motion (simple majority): Notice of minutes from prior TC calls - pending

4. Proposals
5. JIRA issues

a. Office-2102
https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2102

See mail threads on 2102 and xml:space

b. Office-2093
https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2093

Svante's   OFFICE-2103 - Test document using automatic styles refering
to page breaks
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/email/archives/201703/msg00011.html

Regina's post on test documents:
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/email/archives/201703/msg00012.html

All positions will be heard but we do need to vote and move along on
this issue.

b. Continue with JIRA issues.

6. Next meeting: 2017-04-10 at 9:30 AM EDST.

7.  Adjournment

Jos van den Oever: how would this be handled? <p xml:space="preserve">a
b  c</p> ?

Jos van den Oever: svante: xmlreserve says space should be preserved

Jos van den Oever: svante: how does indenting behave with xml:space?

Jos van den Oever: jos: pretty printing is not allowed in
xml:space="preserve"

Jos van den Oever: svante: reason for whitespace handling is that
whitespace inserted for pretty-printing would not corrupt paragraph text
(I guess)

Michael Stahl: OOo/LO/AOO do not recognize "xml:space" attribute in ODF
import

Jos van den Oever: svante: xml-space was not used because
pretty-printing would not be allowed

Svante Schubert: xml:space is defined at
https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-white-space

Svante Schubert: ^^ Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fifth Edition)

Jos van den Oever: Michael: LOO links with both libxml2 and expat

Jos van den Oever: jos: expat does not support namespaces

Jos van den Oever: michael: namespaces are implemented on top of that

Jos van den Oever: michael: LOO still uses expat

Jos van den Oever: if we introduce xml:space="preserve" we still need to
keep the old rules

Jos van den Oever: we could say if xml:space="preserve" the other rules
do not apply, but that would be an extra rule, not a simplification

Jos van den Oever: Aarti is in favour of adding this as an option for
solving OFFICE-2102

Jos van den Oever: discussion of the current 5 options

Jos van den Oever: svante: change as little as possible in the spec and
state in the spec that pretty-printing is a developer feature

Jos van den Oever: andreas: gnumeric does pretty-printing and would like
to keep it

Jos van den Oever: Jos: LOO also has an option to save pretty-printed

Svante Schubert: as long gnumeric is not using any one of the text
containing elments not allowing ODF whitespace elements it should be
fine (in addition JOS edge case should be considered)

Jos van den Oever: michael: we'd like to state that generic
pretty-printing xml software would possibly introduce or remove spaces

Jos van den Oever: svante: how about an informal rule?

Svante Schubert: yes

Jos van den Oever: jos: we could add a note that states: "Note: XML
formatting software that does not implement the ODF whitespace rules
might introduce or remove spaces."

Svante Schubert: Still there are other defects, like changing children
to descendants (mentioned already in the issue)

Svante Schubert: Michael 'volunteered' to provide some wording!

Svante Schubert: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2093

Svante Schubert:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/201703/msg00021.html

Jos van den Oever: (michael will write a proposal text for 2102)

Svante Schubert: "example.odp#5"

Svante Schubert: example.odp#5

Svante Schubert: for the fifth slide of a presentation

Jos van den Oever: jos: can xml:id start with a number? if not, then
there's no conflict

Jos van den Oever: michael: xml:id is NCNAME and cannot start with a digit

Jos van den Oever: michael: leave to the implementations in which order
they would look for matches

Jos van den Oever: jos: i'd be in favour of adding a rule for how to
interpret digits in the fragment identifier

Jos van den Oever: jos: text, spreadsheet and presentations could all
interpret a number as page, table and slide respectively

Jos van den Oever: svante: pages is tricky

Jos van den Oever: jos: will add text about interpreting integers to the
jira issue

Jos van den Oever: adjourned

Svante Schubert: bye bye