Subject: Re: [office] fo:break-before="column" in <style:table-column-properties> ?

Regina,

I don't have "the" answer but do note that 20.177 and 20.178 allow you
to choose fo:break-after or fo:break-before, but not both.

The relevant XSL provisions start here:
https://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice7.html#section-N43268-Keeps-and-Breaks-Properties

fo:break-after refers to 7.19.1 of XSL (1.0)

*****

column
Imposes a break-after condition with a context consisting of column-areas.

*****

fo:break-before refers to 7.19.2 of XSL (1.0)

*****

column
Imposes a break-before condition with a context consisting of column-areas.

*****

OK, but that's not a model of clarity. ;-)

Slightly better is 4.8 Keeps and Breaks -
https://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice4.html#keepbreak

It reads in part:

*****

Keep and break conditions apply to a class of areas, which are typically
page-reference-areas, column-areas, and line-areas. The appropriate
class for a given condition is referred to as a context and an area in
this class is a context-area. As defined in Section [6.4.1
Introduction], page-reference-areas are areas generated by an
fo:page-sequence using the specifications in a fo:page-master, and
column-areas are normal-flow-reference-areas generated from a
region-body, or region-reference-areas generated from other types of
region-master.

A keep or break condition is an open statement about a formatting object
and the tree relationships of the areas it generates with the relevant
context-areas. These tree relationships are defined mainly in terms of
leading or trailing areas. If A is a descendant of P, then A is defined
to be leading in P if A has no preceding sibling which is a normal area,
nor does any of its ancestor areas up to but not including P. Similarly,
A is defined to be trailing in P if A has no following sibling which is
a normal area, nor does any of its ancestor areas up to but not
including P. For any given formatting object, the next formatting object
in the flow is the first formatting object following (in the pre-order
traversal order) which is not a descendant of the given formatting
object and which generates and returns normal areas.

Break conditions are either break-before or break-after conditions. A
break-before condition is satisfied if the first area generated and
returned by the formatting object is leading within a context-area. A
break-after condition depends on the next formatting object in the flow;
the condition is satisfied if either there is no such next formatting
object, or if the first normal area generated and returned by that
formatting object is leading in a context-area.

Break conditions are imposed by the break-before and break-after
properties. A refined value of page for these traits imposes a break
condition with a context consisting of the page-reference-areas; a value
of even-page or odd-page imposes a break condition with a context of
even-numbered page-reference-areas or odd-numbered page-reference-areas,
respectively; a value of column imposes a break condition with a context
of column-areas. A value of auto in a break-before or break-after trait
imposes no break condition.

*****

It may help to look at the intro to the fo formatting model here:
https://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice6.html#pag-intro

Look for region.

I still hope someday to have a complete and clean fo model for rendering!

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick