Subject: Comparison of SVG 1.1 (Second Editon) and SVG Tiny 1.2

Greetings!

A belated remedying of my earlier failure to post comparison of SVG 1.1 (Second Edition) and SVG Tiny 1.2.

SVG Tiny helpfully notes:

*****

1.2.1 Profiling the SVG specification

The Tiny profile of SVG 1.2 consists of all of the features defined within this specification.

*****

;-)

Very, very roughly, SVG Tiny 1.2 drops:

3.7 Filtering painted regions, https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/render.html#FilteringPaintRegions

3.8 Clipping, masking and object opacity, https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/render.html#ClippingMaskingObjectOpacity (although it appears some aspects of object opacity are retained)

4 Basic Data Types and Interfaces - Some common data types but some that are unique as well.

8. Paths, 8.3.8 The elliptical arc curve commands (missing from SVG Tiny) https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/paths.html#PathDataEllipticalArcCommands

10 Text

10.10 Font selection properties https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/text.html#FontPropertiesUsedBySVG

10.11 Spacing properties https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/text.html#SpacingProperties

10.12 Text decoration https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/text.html#TextDecorationProperties

10.14 Alternate glyphs https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/text.html#AlternateGlyphs

14 Clipping, Masking and Compositing https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/masking.html

15 Filter Effects https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/filters.html

I have no feel at all for the amount of SVG usage but do think these two standards are distinct enough to warrant enabling users to use either one.

Which one a consumer will support and to what degree a consumer will support a version of SVG, should depend upon user demand.

Thoughts?

Hope everyone is having a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)