Subject: Re: [office] ODF TC Teleconference Agenda for September 10, 2018

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Durusau schrieb am 09-Sep-18 um 15:47:
[..]

c. Francis Cave also raised a possible issue with the date and time functions in part 4, 6.10 Date and Time Functions

Our discussion started on 6.10.5 DAY,

Can you please point me to "our discussion" ?

 where the summary reads: "Returns the date from a date."

 and the Semantics reads: "Returns the day portion of a date."

We do have a DATE function, Summary: Constructs a date from year, month, and day of the month." which goes on to define the syntax, but the definition of DAY, does not refer to this function.

The DATE function my be evaluated for values for month and day, which do not really exists, e.g. "=DATE(2018;8;33)", which will give "2018-09-02" in ISO date format. And the DATE function results in a number, that get a "day portion" only by formatting. Therefore I suggest not to use the DATE function in a reference.

Question: Should this be a reference to "Date" in 4.3.3, but then should 4.3.3 define year, month and day "portions?" I think the present text assumes year-month-day but it doesn't explicitly say that.

I think, that "day portion" is clear enough. In case you want a reference to a year-month-day notation, we can use the notation description for office:value-type="date" (ODF 1.2 part 1, Â19.385).

BTW, I'm more concerned, that a hint is missing, that the values of these functions depend on the <table:null-date> element; perhaps something to consider for Â6.10.1 General for ODF 1.4.

Kind regards
Regina