Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: DIFF document?

Hello Paul,

We might want to consider to (semi)automateÂour OASIS processes to save OASIS (and the TC) time & pain in the future.

Background
The ODF TC plans to have the working revisions of its deliverables accessible at any time at (for instance for ODF 1.3):
https://github.com/oasis-tcs/odf-tc/tree/master/src/main/resources/odf1.3Â
After ODF 1.3 CS02 we decided on the last meeting to be using a review process for editing our deliverables:
https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-4082Â

What doesÂOASIS change onÂdeliverables?
I would be curiousÂabout what the OASIS technical stuff does have to adapt when a release is being done?Â
Could we assist you in doing it? Obvious seems the following changes:
  1. Date of Delivery - the date the vote ended and the specification takes as publishing date
  2. OASIS Copyright Year - the year of publishing is being updated in the copyright header, footer, etc. of our deliverables
The above could be variables being exchanged (during copy) when we are doing a delivery (I did this already in a project of mine).

The Future of the DIFF
Regarding the DIFF, from the process described in https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-4082ÂÂ
I feel more comfortable if there is a DIFF file for every fixed bug & new feature of ODF 1.4.Â
The advantage of having a DIFF-by-feature for the end-user - the implementor of ODF 1.4 - would be, to take a quick look at the changes in the specification (and/or RNG, deliverables) for this particular bug/feature.
If I stumble over a DIFF (PDF) file in the final deliverables of ODF 1.3 CS01 my assumption was to see what has been changed to ODF 1.2. The previous version I have implemented and read.
The current DIFF to CSPRD is of little use to me. I know this concept of the W3C, but they got at least a queue of DIFF files, but all these DIFFs usually have a lot of noise by format changes, which are of no interest to the implementor - at least IMHO.

Easier Adoption to new OASIS Identity/Design
Last but not least, if there is a design change at OASIS, there is little use in providing us with a new DOCX (or an ODT saved from a DOCX), as the ODF TC has a stable named set of template styles, which have to be altered instead. Currently, our editor Francis Cave is working on a new ODF 1.4 style set, perhaps we should embrace you and future OASIS corporate identity/design changes in our concept of style handling.

What do you think Paul?
SvanteÂ