Subject: Re: [office] Change tracking - collaboration - separation of concerns

Svante,

Sure, start with: https://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c071691_ISO_IEC_29500-1_2016.zip (so we are looking at the same file).

I had to hunt for the reference, I remembered it clearly but not the section number. This is under shared workbooks but the logic for documents is the same.

*****

18.11.1.16 revisions (Revisions)

This element represents the root node of a list of revisions made in this shared workbook. This root node shows
up at the beginning of every log file that contains specific revisions made to the workbook.

When multiple users are sharing, and editing, a workbook at the same time, there can be conflicting changes.
The spreadsheet application should have logic to resolve such conflicts, and the file format should only contain
enough information so that the spreadsheet application can restore the workbook to the correct state after
conflict resolution. Revisions can also be tracked by the spreadsheet application for review by the user at a later
time (as opposed to only dealing with conflicts on a save event.) Some edits to workbooks are made as a result
of this conflict resolution. So, there are cases where a revision is effectively undone by another user, and as a
result that undoing is itself a revision that adds or changes data in the file. These operations are tracked by the
ua and ra attributes of many different elements.

*****

Examples follow but I have omitted those.

Of course "... the correct state after conflict resolution" is being a valid ODF instance.

Hope you are having a great evening!

Patrick